• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC 'lost nerve' over big tax avoiders, say MPs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC 'lost nerve' over big tax avoiders, say MPs

Have we done this already?

HMRC 'lost nerve' over big tax avoiders, say MPs | Politics | The Guardian

Report highlights how Treasury is owed £35bn in missing tax payments and says HMRC pursued small firms, not global giants

British officials have "lost their nerve" in tackling tax avoidance by global corporations and have presided over a £35bn tax gap as they pursue easy prey such as small businesses and individuals, a committee of MPs says.

"HMRC holds back from using the full range of sanctions at its disposal. It pursues tax owed by the smaller businesses but seems to lose its nerve when it comes to mounting prosecutions against multinational corporations.

The lack of prosecutions against multinational corporations seemed at odds with HMRC's stance on pursuing tax debt from small- and medium-sized businesses in the UK, the committee noted.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Good. If they got that 35 billion they'd spent 36 billion more and leave us with another billion of debt.

I am strongly opposed to any efforts to take more tax off multinationals because given the spending record of governments, it will only lead to more debt.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Good. If they got that 35 billion they'd spent 36 billion more and leave us with another billion of debt.

I am strongly opposed to any efforts to take more tax off multinationals because given the spending record of governments, it will only lead to more debt.
      ok then
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

I agree with this, however on the other hand they rather zealously pursue the small fish whilst avoiding those who can dip their toes in other territories (i.e. indulge in tax competition) and employ competent legal teams to make them look like the clowns they are. They should just lay off, period, because it is the government's (and associated cronies') avarice and profligacy that got us into this mess, but instead it will be masqueraded with the typical "we're all in this together" and "do your fair share" etc etc pile of tulip. The funniest thing is they can't even pass the muster of a cost-benefit analysis with some of the measures they employ, like IR35. It's all very vague and fuzzy.

Comment

Surely if they just charged £100 per person to give Gordon Brown a good kicking, they won't have a deficit problem
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Surely if they just charged £100 per person to give Gordon Brown a good kicking, they won't have a deficit problem
            Where do I sign up

Comment

And an extra £150 gets you a bonus round with any of the three twats leading the main parties at present, maybe all three at once.

Comment

I reckon £1m to sleep with Kate Middleton for the night would be faster.

Comment

I'd give £100. Then I'd give another £100 just to kick the c unt in the head, then another £100 to switch off the CCTV, the another £100 just to rub the c unt's arse in yesterdays kebab wrappings and then show his personal public speaking returns this year compared with Tony Bliar's outrageous offerings.

And then I'd be all Christmas like and stick a fir tree up his arse and allow the public to throw their deprecated pension certificates at him.

And then we would display this parasite for all he stands for, on a lampost, twitching, drooling and squealing, for all to reflect on what our political representatives are truly like.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    I'd give £100. Then I'd give another £100 just to kick the **** in the head, then another £100 to switch off the CCTV, the another £100 just to rub the ****'s arse in yesterdays kebab wrappings and then show his personal public speaking returns this year compared with Tony Bliar's outrageous offerings.

And then I'd be all Christmas like and stick a fir tree up his arse and allow the public to throw their deprecated pension certificates at him.

And then we would display this parasite for all he stands for, on a lampost, twitching, drooling and squealing, for all to reflect on what our political representatives are truly like.
                    Not a big fan then?

Comment

Working...
                    X