• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Builders - doing my head in!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Builders - doing my head in!

Had a conservatory built along with some other work in September. Done by a builder whos done work for us in the past and I thought was a nice guy.

Stupidly, we paid the builder when he finished even though there were one ortwo outstanding things.

Also, a few days after the conservatory was built - two of the glass panels cracked. No idea why.

Since then, its been a nightmare getting him to come back. All we've had is excuses and lies. Hes been back once or twice but still not done the glass.

I've now told him I've had enough and want it sorted. He was supposed to turn up this week but did not and is now ignoring my calls.

I've got signatures off him detailing the payments I made to him.

Seriously wondering whether I get a quote from someone else to fix the glass and send him the bill. Then, if he refuses to take him to small claims court.

Guys is a complete nightmare. Lesson learnt - once they've got they're money they don't give a toss.

Then again, got another £15-£20K of work to do on the house and hes already quoted for that. Lets just say after this performance he can swing...

Not the way to run a business - fail to finish the last job and screw up your chances of further work.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I'm holding back a 5% retainer on my build payable 1 year after completion.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Not a bad idea. Focuses attention in case there are problems....

Comment

Yeah, one wonders why there aren't more clauses like that in IT contracts. I suppose it's more common when quoting fixed price.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I wish I could change my vote and nominate PC for poster of the year

Nothing seems to go right - hope next year is better for you
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I feel for you, I have had builders (HIGHVIEW BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE LTD in North London) "building" a wall for me since mid APRIL!!!! 30m x 2m 9" boundary wall. One of the loveliest summers in recent memory and I can't even use my garden.

So much BS and lies come out of their mouths. Do they really believe what they say, we even recorded an hour long conversation with a director once, what a laugh.

They are getting there now and should be finished early Jan, so that is 9 months.

What with the death of both our mothers during the year, this was one thing we really could do without. Personally I found it a lot more stressful than the deaths, as my Mum had cancer for 18 months so was a long process.

I would have sued them but allegedly one of the directors ran off with a lot of money £100-150k, so there was no money for compensation. True or not? Who knows.

Anyway, good luck with it though.

Still planning my revenge once the wall is built, any ideas anyone, www.HighviewSucks.com??
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 20 December 2013, 09:17.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
              I wish I could change my vote and nominate PC for poster of the year

Nothing seems to go right - hope next year is better for you
              Must admit I like a bit of moaning mun!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                I feel for you, I have had builders (HIGHVIEW BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE LTD in North London) "building" a wall for me since mid APRIL!!!! 30m x 2m 9" boundary wall. One of the loveliest summers in recent memory and I can't even use my garden.

So much BS and lies come out of their mouths. Do they really believe what they say, we even recorded an hour long conversation with a director once, what a laugh.

They are getting there now and should be finished early Jan, so that is 9 months.

What with the death of both our mothers during the year, this was one thing we really could do without. Personally I found it a lot more stressful than the deaths, as my Mum had cancer for 18 months so was a long process.

I would have sued them but allegedly one of the directors ran off with a lot of money £100-150k, so there was no money for compensation. True or not? Who knows.

Anyway, good luck with it though.

Still planning my revenge once the wall is built, any ideas anyone, www.HighviewSucks.com??
                When faced with situations like this I often feel tempted to open a kindergarten/school and make great offers for certain peoples children. At least that would give me some collateral while negotiating :-)

But I am only a hero in my own thoughts and on the interwebs - in real life I usually curse a bit and work a bit more to bill extra to make up for the cost I have accumulated.
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Just to be pedantic it’s called retention

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Had a conservatory built along with some other work in September. Done by a builder whos done work for us in the past and I thought was a nice guy.
                  No such thing as a nice builder, sorry

Stupidly, we paid the builder when he finished even though there were one ortwo outstanding things.

Also, a few days after the conservatory was built - two of the glass panels cracked. No idea why.
                  :

Most likely settlement, the walls have “give” in them the glass panes do not, if not settlement then the work could be faulty such as incorrect foundations for your land type.

Seriously wondering whether I get a quote from someone else to fix the glass and send him the bill. Then, if he refuses to take him to small claims court.
                  This is your best bet, but you have to do it correctly –

First up: what form of contract do you have (I am guessing he gave you a quote & you said yes? If so check the T&C’s on his quote) if there are no set rules for dispute then give notice of your intent, but allow him the opportunity to correct the defects by a stated (reasonable) date

If he’s a no show, another letter (recorded delivery) stating that you will get a quote & expect him to pay it.

Send him the quote & give him the opportunity to respond

Then get the work done & send him the invoice

If no payment comes from him then start legal claims.

If you do have a formal contract (such as a JCT) let me know what type & I can check what clause & process you have to follow.
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    No such thing as a nice builder, sorry
                    Sure there is. I know two. Well one retired so one.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X