• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Casual Friday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casual Friday

Does anyone else have a problem with this? ("or is it just me").

I don't mind if a site demands a jacket and tie. But if they start telling me that different dress codes are appropriate for different days of the week, then they are presuming too much.

Originally posted by expat View Post

I don't mind if a site demands a jacket and tie. But if they start telling me that different dress codes are appropriate for different days of the week, then they are presuming too much.
    I politely remind them that MyCo's Dress code when on a clients site is xyz
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

I wear pyjamas as work almost every day.

Comment

It isn't too hard to wear a pair of jeans rather than a suit trouser; job done.

Wear your normal uniform if you can't be bothered, no-one will care.

Comment

At one place I worked, a bunch of managers and senior consultants went out on the lash, and the subject came up of office dress code. The MD said that as far as he was concerned there wasn't one. One of the IT managers (Brian) said - in that case, I'll come in to work tomorrow wearing Bermuda shorts.

Next day, Brian was feeling a bit sorry for himself, sat at his desk, in his usual M&S suit. The MD came into the office, wearing a pair of purple bermudas and a very colourful t-shirt. He strode over to Brian and said "You ****ing wuss. I knew you were more mouth than balls!". From then on, all the staff of the IT department dressed however they liked.

Six weeks later, HR announced that for "Jeans for Genes" day, if we paid a pound, we'd be allowed to wear jeans in the office. That day, we all turned up in suits. It was nice to see that HR were so on the ball.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Don't your clients ask you to at least remove the bottoms?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Don't your clients ask you to at least remove the bottoms?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                At one place I worked, a bunch of managers and senior consultants went out on the lash, and the subject came up of office dress code. The MD said that as far as he was concerned there wasn't one. One of the IT managers (Brian) said - in that case, I'll come in to work tomorrow wearing Bermuda shorts.

Next day, Brian was feeling a bit sorry for himself, sat at his desk, in his usual M&S suit. The MD came into the office, wearing a pair of purple bermudas and a very colourful t-shirt. He strode over to Brian and said "You ****ing wuss. I knew you were more mouth than balls!". From then on, all the staff of the IT department dressed however they liked.

Six weeks later, HR announced that for "Jeans for Genes" day, if we paid a pound, we'd be allowed to wear jeans in the office. That day, we all turned up in suits. It was nice to see that HR were so on the ball.
                Dude, please break this down for me. Category 4 hangover this morning.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Dude, please break this down for me. Category 4 hangover this morning.
                  Ah, that's why you're not leaving until 6pm. You won't wake up from sleeping on the disabled toilet floor until 5:45...

For the hard of thinking.

We established that there was no dress code
                  We started coming into work wearing jeans and other casual items of dress
                  HR announced that we could come into work wearing jeans on one friday for charidee.
                  HR were unaware that we'd been coming into work in jeans for weeks
                  On the "jean" day, we wore suits to piss off HR.

Is that simple enough?

Comment

Several clients have had similar things:
                    Pay a pound to charity to wear jeans.
                    Pay to wear a woolly sweater.
                    Pay to wear casual clothes.
                    Pay to wear something pink (apparently Birthday Suit doesn't count).

I ignore all of these and dress as I would normally in my suit, however depending on the charity concerned I'm happy to throw some cash in.
                    I've had one client where the contractor leading my team told me not to wear a 3-piece suit anymore as I was looking too smart and showing the rest of them up. I toned it down to 2 pieces for a while, then I realised that the guy was a complete knobber who I couldn't stand, so just dressed how I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                    X