PDA

View Full Version : Running

russell
20th December 2013, 10:09
Why do people run long distances every week for years when it's proven to destroy their body? Are they stupid or just ignorant?

Damon
20th December 2013, 10:11
Agreed, after a certain age it is a crazy thing to be doing.

I had a GF that ran marathon's and she visited a physio on a weekly basis just to keep 'going' :freaky:

minestrone
20th December 2013, 10:16
Why do people run long distances every week for years when it's proven to destroy their body? Are they stupid or just ignorant?

I don't know what you did to destroy your brain but you should have stopped it earlier.

vwdan
20th December 2013, 10:17

Why do people drink, are they stupid or just ignorant? Why do people eat fast food, are they just stupid or ignorant? Why do people.....you get the idea. At least with running there's a personal challenge and something to be proud of at the end, in my opinion, of course.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "Long Distance", though - I'll agree that running Ultra-Marathons and the like are well and truly crossing the line of it being bad for your health overall but there's something incredible about completing something you never thought you could do. I got talked into doing a civvie version of part of the Paratrooper selection (Paras' 10 - The Ultimate in 10 Mile Endurance Races (http://www.paras10.com/)). Toughest thing I've ever done, but there's not much that feels as good as crossing the finishing line! I'm doing it twice next year...

While the above race was tough as heck, I don't think running 6 - 13 miles a couple of times a week is going to kill me off any faster than anything else in modern life. I do limit the time I'm out with the 15kg of weight on my back though, that IS probably bad for you!

cojak
20th December 2013, 10:29
Good for you.

russell
20th December 2013, 10:34
Why do people drink, are they stupid or just ignorant? Why do people eat fast food, are they just stupid or ignorant? Why do people.....you get the idea. At least with running there's a personal challenge and something to be proud of at the end, in my opinion, of course.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "Long Distance", though - I'll agree that running Ultra-Marathons and the like are well and truly crossing the line of it being bad for your health overall but there's something incredible about completing something you never thought you could do. I got talked into doing a civvie version of part of the Paratrooper selection (Paras' 10 - The Ultimate in 10 Mile Endurance Races (http://www.paras10.com/)). Toughest thing I've ever done, but there's not much that feels as good as crossing the finishing line! I'm doing it twice next year...

While the above race was tough as heck, I don't think running 6 - 13 miles a couple of times a week is going to kill me off any faster than anything else in modern life. I do limit the time I'm out with the 15kg of weight on my back though, that IS probably bad for you!

Drink, fast food etc are pleasures, running is not. It takes a special level of ignorance to push yourself to damage your body.

DodgyAgent
20th December 2013, 10:35
Good for you.

WSS

High impact running regenerates theCalcium in the bones. Like everything else excessive running will be bad for the knees. It is great exercise.

doodab
20th December 2013, 10:36
Drink, fast food etc are pleasures, running is not. It takes a special level of ignorance to push yourself to damage your body.

Is fast food a pleasure? I find most of it disgusting tbh.

vwdan
20th December 2013, 10:36

Why would I do it if I don't derive any pleasure from it? The release of chemicals during exercise are all very well documented - perhaps you should give it a shot? There's also great pleasure in knowing I'm relatively fit and healthy.

quackhandle
20th December 2013, 10:40
Been running as a hobby for over 12 years as I was getting too many injuries from playing football.

Couple of half marathons a year keeps the love handles down. I'm very lazy though and I rarely train if I have no HM booked.

I've seen people who do marathons all the time, they don't look well, they look gaunt; in the same way no exercise can be bad for you so can doing too much (IMHO).

qh

d000hg
20th December 2013, 10:49
Why do people run long distances every week for years when it's proven to destroy their body? Are they stupid or just ignorant?Oh look, a passive-aggressive thread to attack another poster because he wasn't getting enough attention in the other thread.

vwdan
20th December 2013, 10:53
Oh look, a passive-aggressive thread to attack another poster because he wasn't getting enough attention in the other thread.

As a newbie I think I'm rather missing something and now I feel foolish for responding originally...

Interests
Running, finance.

Damon
20th December 2013, 10:59
As a newbie I think I'm rather missing something and now I feel foolish for responding originally...

No don't worry about it....as a relative newbie myself my advice is don't try to make sense of the General section ;)

Spacecadet
20th December 2013, 10:59
Good for you.

WSS

Well done Russell

mudskipper
20th December 2013, 11:17
Is fast food a pleasure? I find most of it disgusting tbh.

Mmm, MaccyDs

Ruprect
20th December 2013, 11:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw

xoggoth
20th December 2013, 12:02
Hmm. Just looked in here before I went running although my running is a nice gentle jog/amble on country footpaths, about 1 1/4 hours usually. Just brill on a nice sunny day. Serious marathons though, must be dead boring.

DS23
20th December 2013, 12:17

what's a long distance?

hyperD
20th December 2013, 13:30
Mmm, MaccyDs

I was lead into temptation! Twice! :D

DaveB
20th December 2013, 15:47
what's a long distance?

I think this counts

http://www.retfordtimes.co.uk/s-Retford-runner-Ronnie-finishes-200-mile/story-19582937-detail/story.html

The guy is local to me and recently did a 100 mile run in less than 20 hours. :eek

OwlHoot
20th December 2013, 16:00

and it isn't only joints and ligaments - Running in towns next to traffic means they huff and puff more vehicle exhaust, and cold air in winter, breathing it all in deeper. So they must knacker their lungs too before long.

Mad, quite mad :rolleyes:

d000hg
20th December 2013, 16:04
Drink, fast food etc are pleasures, running is not.Could you please compile a definitive list of what things everyone else does and doesn't enjoy doing, it would be very helpful. I'll be sure to correct those people I know who enjoy running but other things would be good to know.

russell
20th December 2013, 17:44
Could you please compile a definitive list of what things everyone else does and doesn't enjoy doing, it would be very helpful. I'll be sure to correct those people I know who enjoy running but other things would be good to know.

How many people run per day vs how many eat fast food.

d000hg
20th December 2013, 17:47
I don't know, why don't you go and ask them rather than saying foolish things?

BrilloPad
20th December 2013, 17:50
I have now had to give up running. Hence my shortest distance will be a double ironman. Then I walk the run part.

Apparantly in the Marathon Des Sables (sp?) most competitors walk almost the entire way!

No2politics
20th December 2013, 18:46
Obsessed, is what the lazy call the dedicated

SueEllen
20th December 2013, 18:52
and it isn't only joints and ligaments - Running in towns next to traffic means they huff and puff more vehicle exhaust, and cold air in winter, breathing it all in deeper. So they must knacker their lungs too before long.

Mad, quite mad :rolleyes:

Shows what you know about running.

If you are an idiot:
1. You run next to the road all the time in heavy traffic,
2. You run on pavements or roads all the time
3. Run at the same time every day regardless of the weather so you over heat in the summer and risk dehydration, or freeze in the winter and risk slipping.
4. Run with headphones on as loud as possible down busy streets

Sensible runners:
1. Avoid running near traffic particularly heavy traffic
2. Try and run off road as much as possible and do shorter distances on the road
3. Take account of the weather and if training for an event move training times around
4. Don't run with loud headphones particularly in the dark and avoid busy streets

Mind you I've nearly run over some idiots who decided it was a good idea to run in the road with their back towards the flow of cars wearing all black. Get me as cross as cyclists who you can't see. :mad

russell
20th December 2013, 18:58
I don't know, why don't you go and ask them rather than saying foolish things?

Ok let me put it another way, are there more McDonald's, kfc's, burger kings or running tracks I your area or nearest city. More people get pleasure out of fast food than they do out of running, if you don't think that's true then there is no hope for you.

SueEllen
20th December 2013, 18:59
Ok let me put it another way, are there more McDonald's, kfc's, burger kings or running tracks I your area or nearest city. More people get pleasure out of fast food than they do out of running, if you don't think that's true then there is no hope for you.

You can eat fast food and do plenty of exercise.

The diets of young non-serious amateur sports people can be really disgusting.

mudskipper
20th December 2013, 19:00
You can eat fast food and do plenty of exercise.

The diets of young non-serious amateur sports people can be really disgusting.

:wave:

SueEllen
20th December 2013, 19:04
:wave:

Funny thing is when they get a bit older and/or have a health scare their diets improve.

d000hg
20th December 2013, 20:27
I guess if you side-track from what you said enough then I will agree with you, but that doesn't mean you were right on the original point.

Also, there is one McD and one KFC in a 3 mile radius of my town. And at least a dozen running tracks.

But only one tennis club so clearly tennis is less fun than running. Except that if you go down by the river in the morning you'll see a constant stream of people running every single day.

SueEllen
20th December 2013, 20:45
I guess if you side-track from what you said enough then I will agree with you, but that doesn't mean you were right on the original point.

Also, there is one McD and one KFC in a 3 mile radius of my town. And at least a dozen running tracks.

But only one tennis club so clearly tennis is less fun than running. Except that if you go down by the river in the morning you'll see a constant stream of people running every single day.

They are running so they can eat their weekly KFC/McDs or more likely with the people I know so they can enjoy a drink or three.

Someone I worked with from abroad couldn't understand why the English do so much exercise and then get pissed.

d000hg
20th December 2013, 20:47
Most people who eat a lot of junk food don't run... the ones who need the exercise most are not the ones doing it :)

SueEllen
20th December 2013, 21:12
Most people who eat a lot of junk food don't run... the ones who need the exercise most are not the ones doing it :)

You haven't seen what the people I know eat. Though they don't eat like that 7 days a week.

Spacecadet
21st December 2013, 10:06
Obsessed, is what the lazy call the dedicated

Lazy is what the obsessed called normal people

Spacecadet
21st December 2013, 10:08
Funny thing is when they get a bit older and/or have a health scare their diets improve.

for me it was the purchase of a pair of 38" waist trousers. The thought of being in the same shop 12 months later buying a 40" pair was too galling to contemplate.
Plus the contractor sat next to me at the time was in his late 50's and a bit of a pie eater. He was the definition of an anti-goal

MyUserName
21st December 2013, 11:21
Hang on what is the discussion point? Is it that junk food is bad or that more people eat junk food than run or something else?

minestrone
21st December 2013, 11:39
Anyway you should see the stuff they provide at feeding stations on ultra marathons, flattened coke so you can down a litre in quick time, biscuits, chocolate, cheese burgers.

I don't believe in the term junk food anyway and I don't think that food is either good or bad, that certain types of food should be left out of the diet, I think these terms are damaging. If someone was to eat all bran and soy milk all day they would be equally as fooked as someone who eats burgers all day but soy milk and all bran are seen as healthy. Really people are too thick to understand diet and nutrition.

russell
21st December 2013, 12:01
Anyway you should see the stuff they provide at feeding stations on ultra marathons, flattened coke so you can down a litre in quick time, biscuits, chocolate, cheese burgers.

I don't believe in the term junk food anyway and I don't think that food is either good or bad, that certain types of food should be left out of the diet, I think these terms are damaging. If someone was to eat all bran and soy milk all day they would be equally as fooked as someone who eats burgers all day but soy milk and all bran are seen as healthy. Really people are too thick to understand diet and nutrition.

I see it as food that has been processed like most of the food in a supermarket, milk for example is heated during pasteurisation but that also removes a lot of the stuff our body needs.

aardvark
21st December 2013, 12:05
I see it as food that has been processed like most of the food in a supermarket, milk for example is heated during pasteurisation but that also removes a lot of the stuff our body needs.

What does pasteurisation remove that our bodies need?

Even processed doesn't necessarily = bad. Often processed foods have high salt/fat contents, but that's not always the case.

minestrone
21st December 2013, 12:11

Milk is pasteurised for a reason you dingbat, I don't want TB and as much as I don't care if you get it I don't want people in wider society getting it.

You prove my earlier point that "people are too thick to understand diet and nutrition"

On a side note I am a big fan of irradiating produce but sadly screaming sandal wearing shysters that have too much say and stop it happening.

russell
21st December 2013, 15:03
Milk is pasteurised for a reason you dingbat, I don't want TB and as much as I don't care if you get it I don't want people in wider society getting it.

You prove my earlier point that "people are too thick to understand diet and nutrition"

On a side note I am a big fan of irradiating produce but sadly screaming sandal wearing shysters that have too much say and stop it happening.

Its cheaper just to ruin it than do checks and take care of the cows. Do you think nobody drank milk prior to the invention of pasteurisation :laugh. Do some research then you might not look like a fool with every idiotic post.

vwdan
21st December 2013, 16:47
Its cheaper just to ruin it than do checks and take care of the cows. Do you think nobody drank milk prior to the invention of pasteurisation :laugh. Do some research then you might not look like a fool with every idiotic post.

"People used to do it" has got to the absolute worse argument for nearly anything. I suppose if you want to go back to an average life expectancy of 30 or so, and a huge infant mortality rate then it's a reasonable argument - but I''ll carry on living my life based upon science and research thanks.

SueEllen
21st December 2013, 17:17

No-one is forcing you to drink cow's milk.

There are alternatives you can have but they will all be pasteurised if they come from animals and processed in other ways if they come from plants.

Oh and you do know in England it's illegal for shops to sell non-pasteurised milk?

russell
21st December 2013, 17:51
"People used to do it" has got to the absolute worse argument for nearly anything. I suppose if you want to go back to an average life expectancy of 30 or so, and a huge infant mortality rate then it's a reasonable argument - but I''ll carry on living my life based upon science and research thanks.

So you can prove that because they drank raw milk their life expectancy was 30? Logic not your strong point is it? Anyway you drink the milk from cows pumped with antibiotics and fed with crap. You lot will deserve a collective Darwin Award.

vwdan
21st December 2013, 18:01
So you can prove that because they drank raw milk their life expectancy was 30? Logic not your strong point is it? Anyway you drink the milk from cows pumped with antibiotics and fed with crap. You lot will deserve a collective Darwin Award.

You don't think there is a correlation between the advances of science surrounding food safety and disease prevention and life expectancy? Anyway, my point was pretty generic - saying "People used to do it" while ignoring the science and other implications is a really bad basis for an argument. People used to do a lot of things which have now been proven to be bad for you.

With reagrds to milk, though, the Wikipedia article has some interesting information:

Pasteurization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization)
"For example, between 1912 and 1937 some 65,000 people died of tuberculosis contracted from consuming milk in England and Wales alone.[14] Developed countries adopted milk pasteurization to prevent such disease and loss of life, and as a result milk is now widely considered one of the safest foods"

I don't really care if people wish to drink raw milk and I agree it can be reasonably safe, but I don't think the added risk is worth the limited (if any) nutritional benefits.

russell
21st December 2013, 19:06
You don't think there is a correlation between the advances of science surrounding food safety and disease prevention and life expectancy? Anyway, my point was pretty generic - saying "People used to do it" while ignoring the science and other implications is a really bad basis for an argument. People used to do a lot of things which have now been proven to be bad for you.

With reagrds to milk, though, the Wikipedia article has some interesting information:

Pasteurization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization)
"For example, between 1912 and 1937 some 65,000 people died of tuberculosis contracted from consuming milk in England and Wales alone.[14] Developed countries adopted milk pasteurization to prevent such disease and loss of life, and as a result milk is now widely considered one of the safest foods"

I don't really care if people wish to drink raw milk and I agree it can be reasonably safe, but I don't think the added risk is worth the limited (if any) nutritional benefits.

So because early 20th century problems with infected milk all our milk is now stripped of all their nutrition? Couldn't they have insisted that all milk should be produced cleanly and tested so we could keep the good parts. I dont want to have milk infected with TB and if some farms can produce safe raw milk then every farm could also. The issue is cost and it's cheaper to treat cows badly pump them with antibiotics then cook the milk so they don't have to chuck any away.

Read this for more info http://www.realmilk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/CampaignforRealMilkSept2011.ppt

minestrone
21st December 2013, 20:14
Well, I am just about to tuck into my strawberry yazoo which is an excellent post run recovery drink, lots of protein and sugar.

doodab
21st December 2013, 21:31
I had some venison burgers. Very nice.

stek
21st December 2013, 21:36
I had some venison burgers. Very nice.

I was offered eight legs of venison meat for £80 but I reckoned it was too dear...

Dallas
21st December 2013, 21:37
Scotch eggs ( decent ones) and pint of milk today, fastest way to get it all back in and getting away from sugary tasting stuff. Got bacon pesto pasta for tomorrow, could scoff it now :)

mudskipper
21st December 2013, 21:41
Crap parkrun today. Waded through mud, added 4 minutes to my time, walked part of it and everything aches now.

Hoping Nebbiolo will replenish the required nutrients for a gentle jog tomorrow morning...

DaveB
21st December 2013, 21:43

So what exactly does it remove? Which nutrients are lost as a result of pasteurisation? Which nutrients are lost that can't be obtained from other sources? Out body needs lots of things, we don't get them all from milk. If that was the case lactose intolerant people would die wouldn't they?

russell
22nd December 2013, 06:09
So what exactly does it remove? Which nutrients are lost as a result of pasteurisation? Which nutrients are lost that can't be obtained from other sources? Out body needs lots of things, we don't get them all from milk. If that was the case lactose intolerant people would die wouldn't they?

I put a link to a pp with all the info, you don't suddenly die just because you are missing some nutrients but over time your body will degenerate.

SueEllen
22nd December 2013, 10:37
I put a link to a pp with all the info, you don't suddenly die just because you are missing some nutrients but over time your body will degenerate.

What specific nutrients do you get from cow's milk that you can't get from eating a combination of other foods?

You can live and be perfectly healthy without consuming dairy products. So if you don't agree with the way it's produced then avoid it.

Oh then again on your weird diet were you avoid plant based foods it would cause a problem.....

quackhandle
28th December 2013, 19:45
Well, I am just about to tuck into my strawberry yazoo which is an excellent post run recovery drink, lots of protein and sugar.

I like those ForGoodness Shakes but they're getting awfully expensive, £2 a bottle now.

On the subject of food, I did read that triathletes eat a lot of white bread when training.

qh

minestrone
1st February 2014, 15:26
When is it going to get warmer and stop raining?

quackhandle
1st February 2014, 15:37

I nearly got sun-blindness doing helsby half marathon a few weeks back.

Hate that strobe effect when running past trees with sun shining through it. Must get some running shades (http://uk.oakley.com/elite/csix). :glasses

qh

mudskipper
1st February 2014, 15:45

Nice and sunny here today. Made running ankle deep in sludge so much more pleasant.

minestrone
1st February 2014, 16:52
Stupidly went out wearing a pair of thick cotton leggings under my shorts, started to rain and they got soaked. Was like wearing ice jeans for the next 3 hours.

minestrone
1st February 2014, 16:55
Hate that strobe effect when running past trees with sun shining through it. Must get some running shades (http://uk.oakley.com/elite/csix). :glasses

In the market for something like that, low sun can be pretty dangerous when running.

xoggoth
1st February 2014, 17:33
Marathons must be very dull but running on country footpaths on a nice day is brill. Rainy yesterday so I bounced around for 35 mins to "Best of the Rolling Stones".

vwdan
1st February 2014, 18:53
I rather stupidly went out for a run with my brother is on R&R from Afghanistan on Thursday. Only did 5km, but I learnt a number of things: I'm not as fit as I thought, he's fitter than I thought and it's been a whike since I did a couple of miles at <8min/mile pace.

I think I prefer my 6 - 12mi plodding at 10min/mile pace.

minestrone
15th March 2014, 20:54
Out in the country today I found a husky standing over a dead deer in some woodland, crapped my pants as it was right next to me when first spotted and I initially thought it was a wolf, so I stood back for 5 mins trying to work out what to do. I then hear some faint whistling from over the horizon. So I jump into a field, run over a hill, across another field and down a path and find the farmer owner who is in a panic. Took her back to the dog who was still there over the dead deer. That concludes my running story for today.

SueEllen
15th March 2014, 23:12
Out in the country today I found a husky standing over a dead deer in some woodland, crapped my pants as it was right next to me when first spotted and I initially thought it was a wolf, so I stood back for 5 mins trying to work out what to do. I then hear some faint whistling from over the horizon. So I jump into a field, run over a hill, across another field and down a path and find the farmer owner who is in a panic. Took her back to the dog who was still there over the dead deer. That concludes my running story for today.

Ahhhhhhh.

minestrone
15th April 2014, 11:34
Brillo.

Job Done!

:banana:

minestrone
14th October 2014, 21:40
*cough* AdventureCORPS Presents the Badwater 135 Official Website (http://www.badwater.com/reg.html) *cough*

eek
15th October 2014, 05:39
*cough* AdventureCORPS Presents the Badwater 135 Official Website (http://www.badwater.com/reg.html) *cough*

I never thought there would be someone on this site able to make BP look normal.

You are a very brave man...

BrilloPad
15th October 2014, 06:09

"Globally recognized as the world's toughest foot race" - yeah right. Second toughest. MDS is the toughest. But once you have done Badwater perhaps you can up your game?

mudskipper
15th October 2014, 08:11
When I was doing the Inca Trail, they were talking about the Machu Picchu marathon. I thought of you both :)

minestrone
15th October 2014, 09:03
Going to apply for 2016, next year will be about getting a number of 100 milers to back up my application. it will probably take a few attempts to get in.

It will be a different race for sure, support crews drive close to the runners and fire ice cold water from super scooshers on them. I read Scott Jureks book 'eat and run', he won it a few times, I think he still has the record. This is him mid race on his first attempt in a bucket of ice.

http://thefearlessmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/30546380.jpg

BrilloPad
17th October 2014, 06:18
Minestrone - have you started training yet? What is your fitness regime like at the moment? What are your training plans?

How many 100+ mile races are there in the UK? Will you be doing enduroman next year?