• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder we get pi$$ed off...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder we get pi$$ed off...

Apply for gig, CV forwarded (or so the pimp says) hear nothing for a few days, see gig reposted.

Ask pimp for update, says client pulled the gig, pimp is shocked. I say, odd that it was reposted by same pimp day before.

"Yeah it'll be live for another few days."

(pimp name rhymes with Lairy Gash)

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Apply for gig, CV forwarded (or so the pimp says) hear nothing for a few days, see gig reposted.

Ask pimp for update, says client pulled the gig, pimp is shocked. I say, odd that it was reposted by same pimp day before.

"Yeah it'll be live for another few days."

(pimp name rhymes with Lairy Gash)

qh

I'm currently contracting through them....Just be happy you didnt get that gig. Bunch of Jokers!

Comment

Sounds like the end-client didn't want to invite you for interview. Usually the client just gets back to agent saying "of all the CVs you sent me I want to proceed with Tom and Jack". Pimp hasn't got the time to get back to every applicant and tell them they were unsuccessful and its easier for him to say the role isn't there, rather than face loads of people re-applying who were unsuccessful or an ensuing argument.

No reason to get annoyed, just understand how it works.
      Last edited by JoJoGabor; 23 December 2013, 15:19.

Comment

I tend to only harass the agent if I have been interviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Sounds like the end-client didn't want to invite you for interview. Usually the client just gets back to agent saying "of all the CVs you sent me I want to proceed with Tom and Jack". Pimp hasn't got the time to get back to every applicant and tell them they were unsuccessful and its easier for him to say the role isn't there, rather than face loads of people re-applying who were unsuccessful or an ensuing argument.

No reason to get annoyed, just understand how it works.
          You have missed my point, not fussed that gig was pulled it was the fact that gig had gone, but pimp was still prepared to accept cvs.

qh

Comment

You have missed my point, not fussed that gig was pulled it was the fact that gig had gone, but pimp was still prepared to accept cvs.

qh
            +1 Exactly, wasting peoples time is what they do best, my current direct gig is coming to an end in 3 months and I hope to be moving onto another direct role on a new project being run by an ex-colleague, if I can avoid agents for another 12-18 months I will be a happy bunny

Comment

qh
              If you've spent the money for an advert, and the advert is for XX days, you might as well keep accepting CVs of a certain calibre for potential future roles.

It's no different than a contractor accepting a gig, and yet still going to other interviews "just in case" the first one gets binned.

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
                If you've spent the money for an advert, and the advert is for XX days, you might as well keep accepting CVs of a certain calibre for potential future roles.

It's no different than a contractor accepting a gig, and yet still going to other interviews "just in case" the first one gets binned.
                That was my thoughts too.

I think a lot of the contractor to agent tension comes from the dynamics of it mattering personally to the contractor but it matters as a business transaction to an agent (I am simplifying it here to ease the point, I know its not as simple as that).

The outcomes effect the contractors income and linked to that is family and lifestyle so it matters 'more'. Add to that the 1-2-many setup of the contractor to the 1-2-hundreds nature of the agent it is easy to see how it gets frustrating for the contractor.

A key coping mechanism for the contractor is to take the personalisation out of the interactions, especially when bench for an extended period. It also comes across to the agent and they will actually interact with you better and potentially more in the future if you can empathise with their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post

Okay fair point but how many pimps would say that the gig has been pulled? Or simply feed them a pile of bullcrap?

qh

Comment

Okay fair point but how many pimps would say that the gig has been pulled? Or simply feed them a pile of bullcrap?

qh
                    Dunno.
                    If you ask agents who appreciate the contractors perspective, they won't understand your point, as they behave differently.
                    If you ask agents who feed bullcrap, they will just feed you more bullcrap.

As per Damon, I think he has got it right about not making it personal.
                    However, the nature of contracting makes it difficult not to take it personally.

From an agents perspective, if he has 10 roles on the go, and has only filled 6, he can at least say he is making 60% income, or whatever.
                    But from a contractor point of view, you are either earning, or not earning, Contractors don't always have the luxury of having trickles of income. (perhaps a good idea would be to start a thread on multiple streams of income in addition to the primary activity).

From an agents point of view, if he has 6 CVs, and needs to put forward the best 3, and there is nothing between them technically or experience-wise, he's more likely to put forward the amiable, sociable one, as he's more likely perceived to do well in an interview.
                    The contractor perceived to be stroppy will get binned, as he may just come across as stroppy in an interview.

From an agents point of view, it's just one CV in a pile of 6; from a contractor point of view, it's all or nothing.

I can't see that perspective changing anytime soon.

For a contractor running a one-man company, it is always going to be all or nothing, unless you join some form of collective.

Comment

Working...
                    X