• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We've never had it so good.......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've never had it so good.......

well, since June 2001 anyway.

http://www.silicon.com/financialserv...9156399,00.htm

City IT contractors are being paid £50 per hour again for the first time since 2001, according to reseach by iProfileStats and the Association of Technology Staffing Companies (ATSCo).

The research is evidence of the strong recovery in City IT departments as merger and acquisition spending, which slumped after the dot-com boom, has been replaced by an increase in IT expenditure on security and compliance work.

City IT contractors were last paid £50 per hour in June 2001, according to the research.

ATSCo chief executive Ann Swain called it "a psychologically significant milestone".

She added in a statement: "2006 could be the year when the ghosts of the dot-com era are finally laid to rest and IT pay in the City tops the £54 per hour record set during the height of the boom."

At the peak of the dot-com boom in December 2000, IT contractors working in the financial services sector earned a record £54 per hour on average. During 2002, as the market bottomed out, IT contractors in the City took home less than £35 per hour.

According to ATSCo, financial institutions spent heavily on IT security in 2005 and will continue to do so this year. Spending on security accounted for 13 per cent of IT budgets last year, up from 11 per cent in 2004.

Pay for IT security experts rose by 22 per cent last year.

Swain said: "As financial services companies step up spending on security to meet rising threat levels, IT security skills are now attracting the kind of premiums reminiscent of Java programmers during the dot-com boom."

Compliance work is also giving IT salaries a big boost. She said: "The financial reporting processes of most organisations are totally driven by IT systems and Sarbanes-Oxley has generated huge amounts of work as IT staff have worked to realign systems. The CIO's role in sign-off of financial data has changed almost beyond recognition in the last few years."

What's it feel like to be in the biggest IT boom ever? Is it a good feeling to have the new Porsche on the drive, loads in the bank and a string of large houses in the country?

It's great isn't it?

Or maybe the article is a load of old Threaded.

If I remember correctly in 2002 people were lucky to have a job or contract, not talking about 35 per hour thing.

Comment

In 2001 I was on £65 ph. What really annoyed me was that the guy sat next to me was on £90 and he never bought a round.

Comment

I was getting paid so much that I didn't bother to check my hourly rate.

Threaded.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The problem is, with all things unequal, £50/h in 2001 in the UK is not the same as £50/h in 2006.

So it's a load of fucking ATSCo/Ann Swain bollocks yet again that has absolutely no bearing on the market whatsover, but makes great liebour-esque soundbite headlines.

Ignore.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            ... according to reseach by ... the Association of Technology Staffing Companies (ATSCo)...
            ATSCo chief executive Ann Swain ...
            According to ATSCo...
            Swain said: ...
            etc etc etc

Comment

I'm alright Jack

Comment

In 2001 I had t’ walk to contract bare foot in t’ snow. Wake up half n’ hour before going t’ bed. Pay pimp for privilege of working. Contractors of t’ day never believe us.
                HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Working...
                X