• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pub Bulltulip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pub Bulltulip

I love it. As I rarely go out to the pub these days (working too hard, demands of the brood etc etc) I do like a nice bit of pub bultulip.

Last nights episode comes right out of the top drawer, from none other than my bezzie mate.

This absolute gem, went something like this :

"I think the government could have handled the banking bailout differently. I mean they just handed tax payers cash to the banks, and they still paid bonuses and did what the hell they liked. What I would have done is give everyone a million pounds on the proviso that :

If they have a mortgage, they pay it off (thus helping the banks).
    If they don't have a mortgage, they buy a British car (brand new) thus helping industry.
    If they are on benefits they can't claim any for 5 years.
    If they are retired they can't claim state pension for 5 years.
    They have to take out medical insurance."

I obviously ripped this to shreds and in the end he was a mere shadow of his former idealistic self.

Just wanted to see what the panel make of his idea. As a thought experiment it whiled away a few pints quite nicely.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

That thought probably originates from a post doing the rounds on Facebook etc a few years back with, as you'd expect, some serious mathematical errors.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      That thought probably originates from a post doing the rounds on Facebook etc a few years back with, as you'd expect, some serious mathematical errors.
      He is not on Facebook and abhors it. Unlikely. I genuinely believe this is the twisted brain wrong of a one off man mental.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        I love it. As I rarely go out to the pub these days (working too hard, demands of the brood etc etc) I do like a nice bit of pub bultulip.

Last nights episode comes right out of the top drawer, from none other than my bezzie mate.

This absolute gem, went something like this :

"I think the government could have handled the banking bailout differently. I mean they just handed tax payers cash to the banks, and they still paid bonuses and did what the hell they liked. What I would have done is give everyone a million pounds on the proviso that :

If they have a mortgage, they pay it off (thus helping the banks).
        If they don't have a mortgage, they buy a British car (brand new) thus helping industry.
        If they are on benefits they can't claim any for 5 years.
        If they are retired they can't claim state pension for 5 years.
        They have to take out medical insurance."

I obviously ripped this to shreds and in the end he was a mere shadow of his former idealistic self.

Just wanted to see what the panel make of his idea. As a thought experiment it whiled away a few pints quite nicely.
        You've got friends? Sorry, I don't believe a word of this.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          You've got friends? Sorry, I don't believe a word of this.
          Rented friend. HTH.

Comment

Rented friend. HTH.
            Now that is much more believeable
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For one thing, giving 60 million people £1 million each would cost £60 trillion, which is slightly more than the bank bailout.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

He is not on Facebook and abhors it. Unlikely. I genuinely believe this is the twisted brain wrong of a one off man mental.
                What you've posted is near verbatim how the post went, and the last point is a clear Americanism.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  For one thing, giving 60 million people £1 million each would cost £60 trillion, which is slightly more than the bank bailout.
                  2 points to you. That was my first point. The figure was then revised down to £100,000 and the 5 years slashed to 2.

Next.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    What you've posted is near verbatim how the post went, and the last point is a clear Americanism.
                    Nope, its Chris Morris

Brass Eye - Wikiquote

Digression good for a half-pint: we could have given every Falkland Islander £1m, and moved them to the Orkneys for less than the cost of the war. And no-one would have needed to die.

(No idea if this is true, we are in pubreality here)
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X