• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Radical way to solve the imminent blackout problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radical way to solve the imminent blackout problem

"Hundreds of businesses could be paid to switch off their power between 4pm and 8pm on winter weekdays as soon as next winter to prevent blackouts, under plans approved by regulator Ofgem.

Mothballed old gas-fired power stations will also be paid to come back to stand-by so they can be fired up to prevent the lights going out when demand is high.

The plans - which together could cost household energy bill-payers about £1 each - were drawn up in the summer after warnings that the risk of blackouts had dramatically increased because old power plants are being shut down and replacements not built.

Ofgem said at the time that the spare margin - the buffer between peak demand and available supply - could fall as low as 2pc by winter 2015-16 if demand is high.

Under the plans, a large commercial site such as a supermarket complex using two megawatts of power could receive an up-front payment of £20,000 just to guarantee it could switch off if needed - even if if was never actually asked to do so. "

Hundreds of businesses to be paid to switch off to prevent blackouts - Telegraph

Fracking hell!!!

Watch out those supermarkets, coming to your neighbourhood very soon!!!

There's only one way out of this mess: build more windmills!

Er,...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      There's only one way out of this mess: build more windmills!

Er,...
      Solar panels are the way to go apparently.....
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Unicorn farts?

Comment

Wind is free.
          solar is free

therefore energy is free
          therefore your energy bills are zero

pj
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'll switch my telly off for 5 grand. For 20 I'll even do the lights and all but 1 pc.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
            X