• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are your recent good reads?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your recent good reads?

WHS

Recent re-reading of The Stainless Steel Rat - Harry Harrison (humorous sic-fi).
    Recent-ish reading of Atlas shrugged - the book id recommend for anyone who could only ever read one book in their life.
    Very recently "Anthem", also by Ayn Rand - it's a novella and only takes 2 or 3 hours to read. A very nice story.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      Recent re-reading of The Stainless Steel Rat - Harry Harrison (humorous sic-fi).
      Yes, that's a very good one!

Comment

CUKBUK
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Currently reading the modern scholar book on world war 2.

It is actually quite a hard read. I had no idea just how severe the atrocities actually were.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            Currently reading the modern scholar book on world war 2.

It is actually quite a hard read. I had no idea just how severe the atrocities actually were.
            I don't know if you mean hard because it;s hard work, or hard because the atrocities suck. But it reminded me that I started reading Moby Dick but had to give up because it was just too much effort (the old language). It was a shame because i really wanted to read it, noting that Captain Piccard felt compelled to quote it all the time.

Comment

Beavor's WWII is absolutely brilliant if you like history.

Reading Chris Brookmyre's Bedlam at the mo. Very, very good (like almost all of his), esp if you're a bloke, like technology, and grew up in the 80s
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                Beavor's WWII is absolutely brilliant if you like history.

Reading Chris Brookmyre's Bedlam at the mo. Very, very good (like almost all of his), esp if you're a bloke, like technology, and grew up in the 80s
                If anyone like ancient history then I recommend Tom Holland's books (rubicon, persian fire, etc). Excellent mix of history and narrative to pack in the facts with the probabilities and the drama to make it an enjoyable read.

Comment

Most recent one that I would really recommend is 'the theoretical minimum' by Loenard Susskind. Anyone with an interest in physics who didn't take it beyond a level, or even an a level student, will enjoy it.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Most recent one that I would really recommend is 'the theoretical minimum' by Loenard Susskind. Anyone with an interest in physics who didn't take it beyond a level, or even an a level student, will enjoy it.
                    On my "to do when I've got the time to go through the exercises" list.

Just read "The Carpet Makers" by Andreas Eschbach - the English translation; the original is German.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X