• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract and first umbrella company, some questions..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract and first umbrella company, some questions..

Hi everyone.
    So was happy to sit I'm my perm role and roll with the punches, last week a friend sent me an email offering a contractor role and he was happy to wait for my 4 week notice period. Super.

But time was crucial, so I spent hours reading up on contracting and umbrella companies.

The company I will be moving to recommended Giant. So I quickly read up on Giant and signed up.

Its a 3 month contract but will but will move into a 6 monther after. My question is can I change umbrella complies after the 3 months to move to a more profitable company like parasol?

I'm kinda kicking myself for jumping in the Giant now. Parasol seem to have better returns.

What do you typically do when you sign up and later want to change umbrella firms?

Thanks
    Nick

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the contract.

I can guarantee you won't get significantly better returns with Parasol. Umbrella co calculators seem to make different assumptions re the amount of expenses you'll be claiming, so this will be the reason for the discrepancy.

You can swap umbrella cos at any time, but it's easier to wait until contract renewal time and sign up with a different co. As with any employer, you'll need to give them notice. Be aware that if you are planning to jump ship after one contract you shouldn't be claiming expenses.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply
      Seeing as I have 4 weeks until I start I'm thinking of changing before I start.

Thanks Zippy for the quick reply.

Nick

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Congrats on the contract.

I can guarantee you won't get significantly better returns with Parasol. Umbrella co calculators seem to make different assumptions re the amount of expenses you'll be claiming, so this will be the reason for the discrepancy.

You can swap umbrella cos at any time, but it's easier to wait until contract renewal time and sign up with a different co. As with any employer, you'll need to give them notice. Be aware that if you are planning to jump ship after one contract you shouldn't be claiming expenses.
        WSS. The way to maximise return (if you're outside IR35) is to go via limited company - the time to do that is when you're sure that contracting is for you, and that you're up for paperwork and deadlines (with fines if you fail to meet them!)

The difference between umbrellas should only be the difference in their admin fees, and that shouldn't be huge in the scheme of things. Read the guides to the right -->

Comment

I replied in the other thread you raised asking this question. I believe you won't be able to claim some expenses for your 3 monther. As you only did one assignment it becomes your permanent place of work so can't claim mileage, hotels, food etc.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X