• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses Receipts Originals or scans?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses Receipts Originals or scans?

Hi all,

Expenses Receipts should be kept for 6 years according to HMRC.

It is pretty difficult to have all the originals, especially if you are moving from place to place.

Is it OK to have scanned receipts for the HMRC in case of inspection?

Thanks,

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-receipts.html

7 iPhone Expense Tracker Apps
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by enteruk View Post
      Hi all,

Expenses Receipts should be kept for 6 years according to HMRC.

It is pretty difficult to have all the originals, especially if you are moving from place to place.

Is it OK to have scanned receipts for the HMRC in case of inspection?

Thanks,
      Not sure I agree it's difficult to keep receipts, just takes a little organisation. That said, AFAIK scanned copies are fine and in fact advisable since till receipts often fade to the point of being impossible to read after a while.

Comment

Nothing wrong with scans. There are only a handful of documents that need to be kept in their original format these days.

Comment

scans are only good if you keep a back up copy to avoid losing all files to accidental deletion.

Why would one not keep paper copies in the loft, then after 6 years shred them? I thought HMRC could dig deeper than 6 years?

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
            scans are only good if you keep a back up copy to avoid losing all files to accidental deletion.
            And a piece of cake to do with all the Dropbox/Drive/Skydrive etc etc options out there these days.

Comment

Keep original copies of dividend vouchers as they contain a tax credit, but most other things can be scanned rather than kept in boxes in your loft/study/garage etc.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

+1 on Clare's point. The same also applies with bank interest certificates which is often forgotten.

It's a lot more hassle but the best thing to do it keep both. If you lose the data on your computer, you have the original document stored in your loft - & vice versa if you lose the original copes.

Comment

I keep paper receipts. In the event that HMRC do wish to see them, and they have faded beyond legibility, I'm assuming they'd be taken on trust.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
                    Surely it goes without saying that you should always have backups of your data? I have several; Time Machine backup, online backup plus various things stored in Dropbox/source control make data loss unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                    X