• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend vouchers help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend vouchers help

Hi there,

I am new to this site. I am contracting under my limited company which was setup in November 2011. I am the only director/employee of my business. Recently I got married aboard and I am looking at the financial requirement of providing evidence to the home office that I make an earning of £18,600. In order to meet this requirement I will need to show my salary and dividends for my last company tax return CT600.

Cut the long story short, in my first year of my company tax return (Nov 2011 to Nov 2012) I had transferred random amounts into my personal savings account on a monthly basis and at some point I ended up having more money into my personal savings account that I got paid dividends and salary. However all my VAT, Corporation tax and Tax on Dividends have been paid for this year. This is because HMRC gives you 9 months after the company tax return year to pay the Company Tax return. So there are no outstanding payments and everything was paid on time. The year after I did not transfer anything to my personal accounts from my Business account. I was given one dividend voucher at the end of the company Tax Return period (nov 2011-nov 2012) but none of the figures seems to match up in my account as I had taken the dividends on a monthly basis and my dividend voucher was given to me at the end of the year. Since I am the only director/ owner of this business is there a way to change/recreate these vouchers to a monthly dividends voucher rather than an annual voucher. If so I would really appreciate some help here.

Originally posted by Azianowar View Post
    If so I would really appreciate some help here.
    It sounds a bit ad-hoc with you taking directors loans and not really knowing how much they were etc. It sounds like the accountant just squares it all up at the end of the year which is OK but can go a bit messy if you aren't careful and it's not a great way to run your business. You should probably get setup with a decent book keeping system so you can keep things in better order.

Schedule a meeting with your accountant and discuss all this with them. Tell them you want a book keeping system so you can know day by day how much money you have in your company, what the director's loan account balance is and what profits are available for distribution.

Also explain the proof of income requirements you have and get them to figure out how to approach it.

If your current accountant can't do this then contact one of the accountants who posts/advertises on this forum and see what they can do.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Am guessing stop one here would be get an accountant. Step two is talk to him,.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks

Thanks a lot guys for your help. My accountant doesn't seem to want to pull his weight and starting to really p*** me off. To be honest before I lacked knowledge on most of this and relied on my accountant but now that I require paperwork for the spouse visa I have realized how much messy things are. To be honest all i require is help on how to create monthly dividend vouchers for the time being. Any ideas or templates on how to create this on a monthly basis?

I guess in my covering letter to the home office for my wife's visa I will have to explain that the transfer to my personal account was a combination of salary, dividends and also included expenses. considering the fact that all my tax and stuff was paid on time and i have confirmation of this from HMRC I am hoping that will be fine. I need to look into another accountant next year.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for your help. My accountant doesn't seem to want to pull his weight and starting to really p*** me off. To be honest before I lacked knowledge on most of this and relied on my accountant but now that I require paperwork for the spouse visa I have realized how much messy things are. To be honest all i require is help on how to create monthly dividend vouchers for the time being. Any ideas or templates on how to create this on a monthly basis?

I guess in my covering letter to the home office for my wife's visa I will have to explain that the transfer to my personal account was a combination of salary, dividends and also included expenses. considering the fact that all my tax and stuff was paid on time and i have confirmation of this from HMRC I am hoping that will be fine. I need to look into another accountant next year.

Thanks again guys.
          I must admit I don't agree with this. You are in a mess so I wouldn't say all you need help with is divi vouchers and waiting to get an accountant next year is only exacerbating the situation. IMO you need to dump him immediately and get one you can trust straight away. I suspect more issues are going to come out of the woodwork and when you are messing about with visas the last thing you need is a mess. Too much at stake to be lazy about it.. but it's your life.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

how complicated is it to change from one accountant to another?

Comment

how complicated is it to change from one accountant to another?
              Not really but most charge the same whether you are in month 1 or month 12. Leaving mid year may result in paying fully twice over
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X