• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New ClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ClientCo

The third I've added in two months. Taken over as sysadmin for a Magento ecommerce site that has a very large turnover, dedicated linux server and all that bollux.

Previous company handed over with no documentation and just a list of the various login credentials required. They've never had;

A dev / test server of any kind so all changes made to the live box.
    Never done a backup.
    Made some custom PHP code changes to the core code which will probably break the site on an update and haven't documented them.
    And therefore haven't done any updates over several iterations leaving security vulnerabilities / bugs.

Bit of a pig in a poke but getting sorted all the issues except one, great way to spend a birthday

Only took a day to get a backup done, build a server VM and get a duplicate dev site up and running and some bug fixes.

Much as I enjoy messing with this stuff and get paid well for it I despair at the idiots out there who are just running by the seat of their pants and not providing a decent service.

Rant over, time to get pished
    Me, me, me...

Kerching!

Sounds like there's a few quid in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Kerching!

Sounds like there's a few quid in that one.
      It's brill for a few hours a week from home, like "can you add this product for me"
      Me, me, me...

Comment

According to the gurning masses on here, this is how it works in financial services also so I feel your pain.

I too spun up a VM. Great minds
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          According to the gurning masses on here, this is how it works in financial services also so I feel your pain.

I too spun up a VM. Great minds
          Past two days were an arse covering exercise as well as doing ClientCo a service. First ever backup they've had so I now have a revert path and a method testing changes.

Gonna move it all to a cloud server in the next few days just to be sure. Security = paranoia on my part, the site ever fails mucho lost revenue and that's not going to happen on my watch.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
          X