• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Define 'leadership'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define 'leadership'

In layman terms and how can the skill be acquired?

You can't acquire this skill, you can only develop any innate ability you have. Some people simply are no good at leading.

Leaders are easy to spot. They go in a particular direction and others follow.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Funny, most books on leadership teach you how to become a leader overnight.

If it can't be acquired is it in the genes then?

What makes other people follow? Charisma, bullying?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
        Funny, most books on leadership teach you how to become a leader overnight.

If it can't be acquired is it in the genes then?

What makes other people follow? Charisma, bullying?
        Some can and some can't. I have this discussion all the time with one of my managers who wants to progress his career. He's just not forceful enough, a nice guy and his voice gets drowned out, I on the other hand have a big gob. I think that helps.

It's the same with strategy. Some can see the big picture some can't.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Being a leader means simply that, taking the lead. Showing the way. you dont need a big gob, you can do it quietly, leading by example.

Who is the first person to start washing the cups ? that person is taking the lead, others follow. Doing positive things that help the team, and nothing negative. Treat people with fairness and respect

and that means when their back it turned.

we have all met the snides with big gobs who slate everyone as soon as they leave the room. They mistake bullying for leadership. dont do it.

positive stroking. say one nice thing to everyone once a day. It quickly becomes a habit and then a nice trait.

It's not about making big strategic decisions and getting them right every time, you will only get to do that once in a blue moon. There was only one battle of waterloo, but there were a million little incidents that led up to it
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Being a leader means simply that, taking the lead. Showing the way. you dont need a big gob, you can do it quietly, leading by example.

Who is the first person to start washing the cups ? that person is taking the lead, others follow. Doing positive things that help the team, and nothing negative. Treat people with fairness and respect

and that means when their back it turned.

we have all met the snides with big gobs who slate everyone as soon as they leave the room. They mistake bullying for leadership. dont do it.

positive stroking. say one nice thing to everyone once a day. It quickly becomes a habit and then a nice trait.

It's not about making big strategic decisions and getting them right every time, you will only get to do that once in a blue moon. There was only one battle of waterloo, but there were a million little incidents that led up to it
            Says the man doing the dishes.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen. Lend me your dishcloths.
            Last edited by MarillionFan; 24 December 2013, 08:45.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Some can and some can't. I have this discussion all the time with one of my managers who wants to progress his career. He's just not forceful enough, a nice guy and his voice gets drowned out, I on the other hand have a big gob. I think that helps.

It's the same with strategy. Some can see the big picture some can't.
              I've had people try and lead me with big gobs - my first instinct is they are full of tulip.

You can have a big gob but it's actually the way you talk not the volume of your voice that commands respect.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

positive stroking once a day quickly becomes a habit
                Leadership by ? Where can we buy your new book EO?

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  Leadership by ? Where can we buy your new book EO?

heh heh.

looking good today Roopers. Have you done something with your hair ?
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You're a leader if you merely suggest to the team that "something" needs to be done idea and it happens. You need to be a little carful doing that though too often, remember Thomas a'BEckett...

You can learn how to give orders, set objectives and targets and to speak up when necessary. That's just Acting Masterclass 101. Getting people to trust you and your decision-making, believe that you will support them, will recognise their efforts and allow them to develop is not something you can learn to do, only learn that you can't do. There's a big gap between a manager and a leader.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X