• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long voltage reduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long voltage reduction

Had a power cut about 8pm last night. Came back, sort of, about 1pm today. Electronic stuff like PCs work ok but anything with motors /heaters needing major power, the microwave, fan heater motors and electric hob don't. The garage door is very slow, more modern light bulbs work, older ones are half lit or flash. My multimeter says we have a US style 110V.

Seems downright dangerous as things are using energy but cooling fans will not run. Anyone ever experienced a long voltage reduction like this?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Had a power cut about 8pm last night. Came back, sort of, about 1pm today. Electronic stuff like PCs work ok but anything with motors /heaters needing major power, the microwave, fan heater motors and electric hob don't. The garage door is very slow, more modern light bulbs work, older ones are half lit or flash. My multimeter says we have a US style 110V.

Seems downright dangerous as things are using energy but cooling fans will not run. Anyone ever experienced a long voltage reduction like this?
    no

Comment

Get in touch with the electricity people asap if you haven't done so.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Get in touch with the electricity people asap if you haven't done so.
        This - what you describe is highly abnormal. I'm surprised nothing has thrown a fuse yet, as they try and pull a higher current with the lower voltage.

It almost sounds like you've lost a phase somewhere upstream, but I'm not that up on mains electricity distribution. Are others nearby affected?

Comment

Had to turn PC off as was a burning smell, don't think PS fan was turning. Waited on phone 45m before giving up, useless *. Yet again just the same few houses had the same. Anyway, at 1.15 AM got up and all ok seems now. Great start to xmas. Grumble. Merry things to all at CUK.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Shocking!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Yep. It's called a brown out. Equipment gets fooked. Insurance claim looms.

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Doom

Commutated electric motors, such as universal motors will run at reduced speed or reduced torque. Depending on the motor design, no harm may occur. However, under load, the motor may draw more current due to the reduced back-EMF developed at the lower armature speed. Unless the motor has ample cooling capacity, it may eventually overheat and burn out.
                An induction motor will draw more current to compensate for the decreased voltage, which may lead to overheating and burnout. If a substantial part of a grid's load is electric motors, attempting to reduce an overload by voltage reduction may not decrease load and can result in damage to customer's equipment.
                Unlikely you are running induction motors, but the compressor on your fridge/freezer is now completely banjaxed.

HTH

PS Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  This - what you describe is highly abnormal. I'm surprised nothing has thrown a fuse yet, as they try and pull a higher current with the lower voltage.

It almost sounds like you've lost a phase somewhere upstream, but I'm not that up on mains electricity distribution. Are others nearby affected?
                  Losing a phase only applies in 3 phase circuits, and would really balse up your PF correction.

Where's the giant lizard, we need someone who knows what they're talking about I'm a bit out of date being only 16th edition certified.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I dunno either.

Being totally certified.

I wish they wouldn't do the straps on the strait jacket so tight, it makes typing with my nose a bit difficult.

Merry Christmas ole son.

Comment

Working...
                    X