• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas is over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas is over

Well it is here. Presents opened, meal eaten, arguments argued, crap TV watched, now time for relaxing and preperation for New Year
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well it is here. Presents opened, meal eaten, arguments argued, crap TV watched, now time for relaxing and preperation for New Year
    Do you often go off prematurely?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Lucky bastard. I'm thinking of moving into the shed for the next few days.

Comment

How was it? Any spoilers?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          WHS

Comment

So far ducked out of Chistmas eve round the out-laws and Christmas Eve drinks with the neighbours.

Now if I can get my Christmas dinner brought to me in bed while I watch the entire LilleyHammer box set I would be well impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              WHS
              Don't forget to bring some reading material....

Comment

Strange that, a couple of my German friends on FB also say they opened their presents this evening. Odd coincidence.

I shall be opening mine tomorrow after my fry up and generous slug of port n lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Don't forget to bring some reading material....

I think the WiFi will reach that far thanks. I could cut a little hatch in the door for someone to post a tray of left overs too. Although, knowing the swine around here, all i'd get would be a bowl of sprouts and it would quickly become uninhabitable. Bah.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Do you often go off prematurely?
                    Didn't learn a lot about Germany during your sojourn here did you?

Many families in Germany begin the celebration on Heiligabend (literally, Holy Evening, or Christmas Eve) in the afternoon or evening. Although there are two legal holidays in Germany for Christmas, Christmas Eve isn't one and many companies and stores are open for a half day in the morning. Then, in the afternoon, the celebrations begin.

Before the Bescherung (gift giving) begins, many Germans go to church. Christmas masses/services often last around one hour. Families with children go to a children's mass which is usually shorter and dramatised with a Krippenspiel, which is a nativity play. The customs held upon returning from church leading to the gift giving vary across Germany.

One of the most common situations sees the returning children wait to enter into their (locked) living room until a little bell rings. This bell marks the departure of the one delivering gifts. In the more Catholic regions of Germany - primarily the south - this is considered the Christ Child (Christkind), while North Germans commonly considers it to be the Weihnachtsmann (Saint Nicholas or Santa Claus) who is exiting.

The children then enter to see the decorated Weihnachtsbaum (Christmas tree), with all the presents beneath wrapped in
                    colorful paper, that has been prepared by an adult while they were away at church. Adults may also share gifts while the children are opening theirs. For the Bescherung, the only light comes from the Christmas tree lights (in the past generated by real candles, though today generally replaced by electric lights).

An alternative version held in many homes sees no presents lying beneath the tree when they return from church. Instead, the Weihnachtsmann (normally played by a relative) appears in person, knocking at the door while the family sits together. Once he is let in, he puts his sack and 'rute' (shepherd's crook) aside and greets the family. He then asks the child or children to perform by singing a Christmas song or reciting a poem and asks them if they were naughty or nice. Most children admit that they have not always been nice, so the Weihnachtsmann wants the promise that they do better next year before giving all their presents. He then retreats and the family spends the rest of the evening together, enjoying their gifts and company.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X