• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the extreme commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise of the extreme commuter

BBC News - The rise of the 'extreme commuter'

With thE exception of transatlantic flights I'm about 30 minutes from the office (excluding working from home). Best I managed with 7 minutes from bed to office which consisted of a quick drive, the longest around the 2 x 2 hour mark and the odd 5 hour commute twice a week to get to a site and then hotel / B&B during.

For me, 3 hour round trip will cause me to stay some where local. Who presently on CUk has the most extreme commute?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

With thE exception of transatlantic flights I'm about 30 minutes from the office (excluding working from home). Best I managed with 7 minutes from bed to office which consisted of a quick drive, the longest around the 2 x 2 hour mark and the odd 5 hour commute twice a week to get to a site and then hotel / B&B during.

For me, 3 hour round trip will cause me to stay some where local. Who presently on CUk has the most extreme commute?
    Best commute was 20mins (10mins by boat and 10mins walking) and the worst is my current clientco with is about 1hr 15 each way. I don't think I could manage more than this on a daily basis so if it gets to 1hr 30 then would look to stay over. I read of some extreme commutes over in the US recently (5hr daily commutes ... bonkers!) - NYC's 'extreme commuting' costs getting out of control

Comment

Current gig is the farthest I've ever had to commute, 92 miles one way, which takes me anything between 1h40m and 2 hours.
      Stay over in a hotel 2 nights per week.
      Previous gig was 20 minutes by bus and was the closest I ever had.

Comment

My worst (cos it was short notice and could arrange anything in time) was;

5:00 - Leave House
        5:15 - Bus to Leeds City Station
        5:45 - Arrive Leeds City Station
        6:10 - Train to Newcastle Central
        7:45 - Arrive Newcastle Central
        8:00 - Metro to Northumberland Park
        8:30 - Arrive Northumberland Park
        9:10 - Arrive at work

Similar return, did that for a week before changing to weekly commute, not including sleeping time, think I had 3 hrs a day at home! No wonder I'm fooked...

Comment

Same, 90 mins tends to be my cutoff for staying over. Though, if I can get away with taking the motorbike and it's a fun run then I'll sometimes push a bit further and I make exceptions for single or two day jobs. Mileage wise, I think the furthest I've commuted regularly was 80 miles each way - I did that for 3 months each day, but it was a surprisingly pleasant commute in the summer and the work was enjoyable.

Comment

My next gig will be 95 miles each way (about 2hrs). 4 hours driving a day will not be fun so staying over once or twice a week will be on the cards. On the plus side the commute is great and through some stunning scenery.
            Best commute I had was 15 minutes each way, lasted 4 years on that one.

Comment

Had them extreme in both directions

A six month contract in Bath where I was staying in a hotel literally next door to clientco and could see my desk from my hotel room window. Ironically, at one stage it had been snowing and the slush had turned icy, which meant the 50 foot journey on foot from door to door was quite long and arduous for a few weeks.

At the other extreme, a 2 hour each way (on a good day) car commute from South Kensington to Brentwood for a couple of months.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My previous place was > 6hours round trip every day (apart from wednesdays when i stayed in a hotel). I got paid for 4 of those hours sitting on the train though.

Comment

1 hr 40 good day, 1 hr 45 avg, can be over 2 hours on a bad day.

an example 1hr 50min journey:

7:10 - leave house, walk to bus stop
                  7:20 - bus to town
                  7:45 - arrive town, walk to train station
                  7:50-8:00 - ignore 2-3 packed standing-room-only fast trains to london
                  8:00 - get on less packed train to london
                  8:30 - arrive london, walk to tube
                  8:35 - arrive tube station, wait for train
                  8:40 - get on train
                  8:55 - arrive at tube station
                  9:00 - arrive office

same on the way back

Comment

3 seconds,
                    from my bed to the kitchen where my desk and laptop are.

Comment

Working...
                    X