• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experience prior to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience prior to contracting

I bid thee greetings.

I am currently a second year computer science undergrad looking at just what i'm going to do when i'm finished. Not sold on the "we require your soul" internships that alot of big firms offer nowadays I thought i'd have a look at contracting.

What sort of experience is par for the course before taking the dive into contracting and does anyone know of an individual who has been able to leap straight into it from university? I have had a look at a few contract offerson this website and Hayes and most seem to be looking for 3-5 years of development experience with a particular language. For these roles do most people just work for a private firm to begin with and then move into self-employment/agency work?

Much obliged in advance, Adam.

We get these kind of questions all the time. I suggest you use the search facility to see how people got into contracting as there are a few threads.

In your own case if you are a 'normal' 2nd year uni student find yourself a summer internship then get a permanent job. Climb the corporate ladder as far as you can and only when fed up see if contracting is for you.

I've been in companies from SMEs to large corporates that have had internees and the treatment varies a lot. I've also got young relatives who have done them in different industries and again the treatment varies between companies in the same industry. Some companies are nice to all their workers while others aren't.

Regardless of whether you get an internship with a nice company or not be willing, eager and helpful. Most importantly don't moan about the rubbish tasks they give you. Smaller companies if they can will give you responsibility for doing something.

If you aren't such a 'normal' uni student and have an idea you can make money out of then do that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Adam, your CV will one day be your passport to contracting riches. Just do what you've got to do to build up that CV, and make good relationships wherever you go so you get decent references.

Comment

I'd second what SueEllen said, and it is what I plan to do as well to break into accountancy when the Big Four and mid tier/industry positions begin recruiting for 2015, as it is an area where the qualifications alone don't help very much. Thereafter, I will consider returning to contracting, provided IR35 (or any other proposed legislation) hasn't degenerated into some (worse) monstrosity. I like the ability to set your own terms of business, so I don't really want to stay permanently employed for too long but the fact that your employer is paying for your training costs (which can be considerable) and you are gaining valuable experience in the process can be worth it. Depending on the employer and your progression, it may be worth it to stay permanently employed anyway.
        Last edited by Zero Liability; 28 December 2013, 11:22.

Comment

Firstly don't confuse freelancing with contracting. Freelancing means you doing something (in IT terms) like web design or small apps development either on commission or in the hope of a recurring sale. Contracting is about selling skills to people who need them now.

I'll hire a freelance to build me a new website for the corner shop. I'll hire a contractor to run my datacentre. Spot the difference?

Learn your trade first, then look to go contracting: apart from anything else, nobody will hire you if you aren't already fully skilled up for the role. The opposition will be very good at what they do (or very cheap, but don't go there); you will have to be as good and that takes time.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Applications with no experience go straight into the bin for me. I'd try for an internship or work placement as opposed to a contract and build up some experience first.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The contracting market is generally not bright and I would go for a gr8 perm career.

At some point when you're experienced and there is a booming sector you can go for it.

These days there isn't much difference between a well paid permie job and a contract where you have to travel and pay travel expenses, add on stress factors such as "how do I deal with IR35", and the fact that you are more likely to be on the road, it is questionable.

Focus on what you want to be, a programmer, consultant or whatever and get the job that gets you there.

Perhaps go for a plan B and get bits of freelance work on the side.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you are good looking, silver tongued and can charm the knickers off folks why not slip straight into a contract PM role? Experience not required, good rates of pay for the right candidate.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You do see contract roles for graduates sometimes, but the money ain't any better than you'd get for a perm role.

I'd say - see what's around when you finish your course. If a decent perm role with training etc then take that. If you get offered a contract role then take the money. It's all good experience. And cash in the bank
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    You do see contract roles for graduates sometimes, but the money ain't any better than you'd get for a perm role.

I'd say - see what's around when you finish your course. If a decent perm role with training etc then take that. If you get offered a contract role then take the money. It's all good experience. And cash in the bank
                    You see Zippy is one of those good looking types that greased her way up the slippery pole. Some can get away with it.

I OTOH look like Shrek's fat uncle
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X