• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standing desks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing desks

Anyone get any experience of extended working at a standing desk?

I like the idea of it as I find myself choosing the higher seats in coffee shops or meeting areas in the office. You can vary your setup, stand or sit on a higher chair etc. You also can't slouch as much if you are sat on a higher chair compared to a normal office chair.

I have also started to suffer a little with lower back pain so it helps me change position and manage it. Research into health impacts of sitting all day is pretty mature and the more vertical position helps me maintain a better posture.

Good reading on it here....

The Best Standing Desks | The Wirecutter

“It doesn’t matter if you go running every morning, or you’re a regular at the gym. If you spend most of the rest of the day sitting — in your car, your office chair, on your sofa at home — you are putting yourself at increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, a variety of cancers and an early death. In other words, irrespective of whether you exercise vigorously, sitting for long periods is bad for you.”

Don't know if it's an urban myth, but I read that you burn 50 calories an hour more when standing.

Comment

These are popular in Scandinavia - the office I worked at in Stockholm only about 10% of people would stand from what I could see. Those that did seemed to like it.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
        Anyone get any experience of extended working at a standing desk?

I like the idea of it as I find myself choosing the higher seats in coffee shops or meeting areas in the office. You can vary your setup, stand or sit on a higher chair etc. You also can't slouch as much if you are sat on a higher chair compared to a normal office chair.

I have also started to suffer a little with lower back pain so it helps me change position and manage it. Research into health impacts of sitting all day is pretty mature and the more vertical position helps me maintain a better posture.

Good reading on it here....

The Best Standing Desks | The Wirecutter

I like to slouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I like to slouch.
          WHS.

Jobs that require you to be on your feet are generally low paid:

McDonald's crewperson
          Binman
          Care assistant
          sandwich board wearer.
          Dog walker

There's a good reason we're paid a premium - it's danger money for our bad backs.

Comment

Link :-

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...ding-desk.html

I've got a 6 foot desk, half with laptop on a shelf above the desk, with chair for sitting down. The other side has a footstool on top of the desk, this gives a nice height for typing, the picture you showed has the keyboard too low for me. Windoze duplicated from laptop to monitor, so no messing about there either.

I've knackered knees, so it works well for me, I just use the half I feel like using, and move the keyboard from one side to the other.

Comment

Mate of mine (working from home office) decided to do this. After a few days of painful legs and ankles said that this was actually quite good. Mind you his wife is into S&M so perhaps not an unbiased opinion.

Probably where that pikey airline CEO got his ideas from.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                WHS.

Jobs that require you to be on your feet are generally low paid:

McDonald's crewperson
                Binman
                Care assistant
                sandwich board wearer.
                Dog walker

There's a good reason we're paid a premium - it's danger money for our bad backs.
                The old man has had a career on his knees, but funnily enough it's his ankles that went.

Mind you, who would have thought that a lifetime of working on his front would leave MF with a prolapsed how's-your-father.

Comment

I quite like mine, standing all day is rather tiring though.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Great idea, but they must come with the right equipment.

Comment

Working...
                    X