• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimately, the only thing stopping ALL of our work being offshored is...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately, the only thing stopping ALL of our work being offshored is...

...management nervousness.

Pretty much everything we do can be done remotely, ok let's forget initial cabling/kit installs, management want reassurance that their projects are being delivered to schedule/quality, and fear they can't get that offshore. They worry about the Indians possibly screwing up, losing control, and so that's why there's a bedrock 15% of the total work that doesn't leave these shores.

Ok you can add Security Clearance, but really, we're only there to be browbeaten/interrogated in person.

Ho ho ho
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

What was the point of starting this thread?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        What was the point of starting this thread?

Name me 1 thread in the past week that was any better

Comment

My work's already offshored. To Britain, from America. Thanks offshoring.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            My work could be offshored to all those nice folks at MIT.

With their free online lectures.

Don't think the esteemed customers would cope too well though.
            Don't feed it dear

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Name me 1 thread in the past week that was any better
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...df-2014-a.html
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's almost worth offshoring my work for the laugh.

It would soon be back.

Comment

In theory everything could be "offshored" ( AKA done by "someone else" ) but of course it is extremely unlikely to happen in practice.

There is a natural break ... which is if all the jobs are being done by foreigners, we wont have any money and therefore wont be able to buy the goods and services created by companies OR pay taxes to the government. And that wont be allowed to happen.

The last two FTSE 100 companies I've worked in have actually started to bring back development work as they've realised that a) It's costing them a fortune and b) It is now a competitive advantage to do your development with skilled staff who understand your business ( Who'd have thought! )

The offshore suppliers ( TCS, Wipro, Infosys etc ) are going to get mullered in the next few years. Their "Land-and-expand" business model is flawed and exposed.

IT is about change .... always has been .. always will be. Did anyone cry when the armies of clerks that used to required to run a companies accounts were made obsolete? Or the ladies in the typing pool? No. And new jobs were created.

Software as a Service will gut the Indian IT companies. Why hire 10 bobs when you can run your CRM "In-The-Cloud"?

Of course we all know that this won't reduce the total work required but it will change the skills required.

Stick close to the business, be professional and keep current and you will still be billing in 2024.

Comment

And another thing! ( And glass of wine )

Pity poor Call-Centre-Bob.

She is already being replaced by a computer. Voice recognition and AI are combining to make contact centres obsolete.

The automated systems used by companies are not too bad now. They handle the basic stuff. How good do you think they'll be in 10 years time?

And pity the poor old Foxconn worker. He's being replaced by a sparkly new robot from Germany.

Comment

Working...
                    X