• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adults today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adults today

I was just wondering if anyone shared my views that people today are generally more self centred than say 15 or 20 years ago?

For example I have a neighbour that is always asking for my help. Problems with his PC, help with a tricky bit of wall papering. He is a keen photographer and telescopist. He knows I am having problems with my scope. I have asked for his help. Too busy.

For another example I have a mate who knew a few days ago I was feeling rough with a chest infection. Not even a text to say "Feeling better?"

When I'm out and about, say in London, I might see someone taking a photo of their friend near a landmark. If it's not rush hour, I find I can break my stride to avoid ruining their shot. Not a massive effort, but just courteous. 9 times out of 10 I see folks wantonly walking onto the shot.

When I was out in Germany we caught the bus a few times. When we got to our final destination I would always say thanks and cheerio to the bus driver. I was the only one.

I generally find people to be self absorbed and discourteous these days. Does anyone else notice this and get frustrated by this? Or should I just start being more of a self centred a***hole?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Keriste I'm a wail reader mindset

Linky

Facebook and Twitter have created a generation obsessed with themselves, who have short attention spans and a childlike desire for constant feedback on their lives, a top scientist believes.
    Repeated exposure to social networking sites leaves users with an 'identity crisis', wanting attention in the manner of a toddler saying: 'Look at me, Mummy, I've done this.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Facebook and Twitter have created a generation obsessed with themselves, who have short attention spans and a childlike desire for constant feedback on their lives, a top scientist believes.
      Repeated exposure to social networking sites leaves users with an 'identity crisis', wanting attention in the manner of a toddler saying: 'Look at me, Mummy, I've done this.'
      You're being ironic, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        You're being ironic, right?
        Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Seriously though, I have found today's adults to be selfish twats and it grinds my gears. To be part of "Generation me" is a little disturbing.

Love this quote though

Baroness Greenfield, former director of research body the Royal Institution, said: 'What concerns me is the banality of so much that goes out on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback
            You're an over sensitive needy bedwetter who needs constant reassurance. I bet every time you make love to the missus you constantly ask her how it was and ask for a lengthy 'lessons learned' document afterwards.

Does it occur to you that asking your neighbour to help you on Xmas day with your scope when he was cooking his turkey is just another example of your piss poor timing than him being selfish.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You're an over sensitive needy bedwetter who needs constant reassurance. I bet every time you make love to the missus you constantly ask her how it was and ask for a lengthy 'lessons learned' document afterwards.

Does it occur to you that asking your neighbour to help you on Xmas day with your scope when he was cooking his turkey is just another example of your piss poor timing than him being selfish.
              Christmas Day yesterday waaazit?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Uh huh

Comment

I thought it was a southern thing? not like that in the north...
                  Join IPSE

Comment

Uh huh
                    Could I politely point out that the linked thread was, IIRC, a parody thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X