• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Fading Light of 2013 vol. CCIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Fading Light of 2013 vol. CCIX

Four years, and I still haven't managed to list the entire web
    • Psychic Predictions for 2013 - "Here is a roundup of what some of the top psychics, seers, and mentalists say is in store for us in 2013." And as 2013 draws to a close, we get to gloat I feel slightly sorry for Jane Hamilton-Parker, who said "I feel that in May 2013 there will be a surprise announcement that Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, will announce that she is pregnant." The duchess's pregnancy was, of course, announced on 3 December 2012, presumably after this prediction was made, but too late to rescind it

• Wildcatting: A Stripper’s Guide to the Modern American Boomtown - "Nothing is more emblematic of the American dream than chaotic mining and drilling towns such as Williston, North Dakota, and the people who flock to them in search of fortune. And no one knows better how these communities work — and don’t — than the traveling topless dancer." Susan Elizabeth Shepard on life following the money.

• British Rail Corporate Identity - "This is a website about the British Rail Corporate Identity from 1965–1994 which includes a wealth of digitised examples of British Rail design material collected over several years." Bonus linky: Aegir Hallmundur from the Ministry of Type offers his thoughts on "...a glorious bit of design nostalgia".

• The Unofficial Goldman Sachs Guide To New Year's Resolutions - Following on from last week's Christmas advice, @GSElevator offers handy hints on how to get New Year's resolutions right: "If you’re healthy, eating well, and exercising, then your body can handle a few more drinks every now and then. There is nothing wrong with the occasional black out, and you’re just going to lie to your doctor anyway."

• The Devious Ad Campaign That Convinced America Coffee Was Bad for Kids - "In the early 20th century, C.W. Post made a fortune selling his caffeine-free coffee substitute with pseudoscience." Apparently Americans have believed that giving coffee to kids causes malnutrition for over a century because of this crap

• Giles Coren Gives Up Booze - "I mean to say, what miracle juice was this? Previously I was bookish, nervous, defensive, twitchy (I had a rapid repetitive blink and a horrible intermittent lip-stretch), infuriatingly talkative (to mask shyness and self-loathing), self-conscious, timid and mean. Now, under the influence of the firewater, I was relaxed, fearless, louche, attractive, generous. Even, almost, magnetic." After nearly thirty years, though, he's given up the booze ("Just maybe 100 units a week. Barely five times the recommended amount. Nothing. Almost no downside.") and drugs, and is really enjoying it

• The Most Incredible Historical Discoveries of 2013 - Leaving aside the linkbait "Most Needlessly Hyperbolic Headlines of 2013" tone, here are links to a lot of good stories from the past year: "After years of speculation, the U.S. government released a classified document confirming that Area 51 is a real government testing site. As for crashed UFOs and alien autopsies? Not so much."

• Meet Mr Chicken - "You may not know his name but you will certainly know his work: Morris Cassanova (aka Mr Chicken) designs and makes signs for most of the fried chicken shops in the UK."

• CV Bloopers 2013 - A selection of "interesting" extracts from real CVs, such as "I also had occasion to visit an imprisoned British Professor of Anthropology, while I travelled Bolivia" and "I hate shopping with my wife!!!!!"

• Texts From Superheroes - This is what happens when Norse gods get iPhones:

Happy invoicing!

How much did Giles Coren actually drink before he gave up?!

He sounded like a borderline alcoholic to me.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      How much did Giles Coren actually drink before he gave up?!

He sounded like a borderline alcoholic to me.
      Nothing borderline about it. 160-180 units a week, 7 or 8 times the recommended. No wonder he feels better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        Nothing borderline about it. 160-180 units a week, 7 or 8 times the recommended. No wonder he feels better now.
        Surely at least part of the definition of alcoholic is not being able to just stop?

Comment

and you lead me astray:

Craziest College Confessions Of 2013 [VIDEO]

we have some potential new members!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No coincidence I assume that Mr Chicken looks a lot like Gus from Breaking Bad?
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              No coincidence I assume that Mr Chicken looks a lot like Gus from Breaking Bad?
              Hmmm, <strokes chin>, hiding in plain sight. Good work detective!

Comment

From CV Bloopers
                September 1992 – September 1996 Youth Hostile Manager – SwindonTown Football Club
                Probably closer to the truth than the actual job title
                If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Working...
                X