• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A quick hint to any agent reading this on 1st January

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick hint to any agent reading this on 1st January

It is NOT OK to call me on New Years Day asking me if I'm looking for a new contract. One got a very short "go forth and multiply" message from me without even the courtesy of me telling him I'm no longer available.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

actually being benched and warchest empty this month I would love a call from an agent today
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        It is NOT OK to call me on New Years Day asking me if I'm looking for a new contract. One got a very short "go forth and multiply" message from me without even the courtesy of me telling him I'm no longer available.
        I don't see the problem with this.

Except your response, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          I don't see the problem with this.

Except your response, obviously.
          I've already got my Programme Tech Lead lined up... I've worked with him on more than a few projects now, he typically earns a good bit more than me due to his skillset. He does all the tough techie stuff for me and leaves me alone to do my programme level stuff, I do the opposite for him in protecting him and his techies from politics and programme stuff. It works fairly well for us and I don't have to break in a new Tech Lead to my rather unique manglement style
          I smell something. And it ain't good.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I thought you were all rootin tootin entrepreneurs, not bureaucrats who wont do anything on a bank holiday. If you were on the bench down to your last 2 and sixpence would your reaction have been any different?

Comment

I remember back in the days of severe contractor shortages in the late 90s when I was getting calls at midnight from agents as well as plenty of other calls at a "time when they knew they could get me". I remember one three month period where I had very few uninterrupted dinners without a call from an agency. It got seriously tedious quite quickly. If they couldn't get my mobile, they'd call my landline; if I didn't answer the landline they kept ringing every 10 minutes until someone answered.

There are times when it's acceptable to make an unexpected call about work stuff and times when it's not. Working day, anything after 8pm is going to have me grumbling. Weekends, usually a minor grumble about any call but a severe grumble if it's after 8pm. The entire days of major holidays of Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's Day are completely out, it's not acceptable to call me on those days unless you're a friend, family or it's a major emergency.

Comment

Thats why god invented voicemail.

Comment

Sadly, that's why it appears to be an antithesis to all salesman...
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Sadly, that's why it appears to be an antithesis to all salesman...
                    Yep, the script back then was:

1. Call mobile. If no answer or voicemail then hang up leaving no message.
                    2. Call landline. As above. Keep dialling every 10 minutes until you get someone answering. Make sure you're dialling from a caller-ID blocked number so that it's hard for me to see who is calling.
                    3. If it goes on for long enough, call anyone you know is a close contact of your target asking if they know where you are or if they can get you to answer your phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X