• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trains - Advance fares etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trains - Advance fares etc

Following on from my other post - Never been one for commuting on train so not really used to it all. I see ticket types have changed recently.

Train costs into London at peak times seem very expensive. However, notice there are some bargains to be had in advance fares.

Of course, trouble is your stuck to the train time and they're not refundable (although I see they can be changed for a fee). Although, what happens if you wait until an hour before departure and then want to change it to an hour later - will they sell you another cheap advance fare or do you then just get credit towards same day standard ticket?

Seems to make quite a bit of difference in terms of cost. Some huge bargains to be had (for instance, from south wales it seems if you catch train 30 mins earlier its sometimes £70 cheaper in FC for a standard ticket later - dead early mind but easier to kip in FC!)

All well and good in the morning when you can plan it but I guess you've got to plan your exit from client site carefully to make sure you catch said train.

What do most of your train commuters do? Buy advance and make sure you leave on time or buy flexible because its too much hassle if you get delayed in the office?

Of course, none of this a biggie if your in the car. 10 mins etc doesnt make you miss the train.....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Of course, trouble is your stuck to the train time and they're not refundable (although I see they can be changed for a fee). Although, what happens if you wait until an hour before departure and then want to change it to an hour later - will they sell you another cheap advance fare or do you then just get credit towards same day standard ticket?

Seems to make quite a bit of difference in terms of cost. Some huge bargains to be had (for instance, from south wales it seems if you catch train 30 mins earlier its sometimes £70 cheaper in FC for a standard ticket later - dead early mind but easier to kip in FC!)

All well and good in the morning when you can plan it but I guess you've got to plan your exit from client site carefully to make sure you catch said train.

What do most of your train commuters do? Buy advance and make sure you leave on time or buy flexible because its too much hassle if you get delayed in the office?
    Give me strength. Do you need help tying your shoe laces as well.....

Mods can you move this to general or is it still OK to insult PC in the professional forums....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Mods can you move this to general or is it still OK to insult PC in the professional forums....
      That's another thread, be patient

Comment

simple

Following on from my other post - Never been one for commuting on train so not really used to it all. I see ticket types have changed recently.

Train costs into London at peak times seem very expensive. However, notice there are some bargains to be had in advance fares.

Of course, none of this a biggie if your in the car. 10 mins etc doesnt make you miss the train.....
        Buy a 1st Class sesson ticket

Comment

Hmmm. Nothing better to do today I see eek.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            Buy a 1st Class sesson ticket
            LOL. Bit steep that mind.

Comment

Hmmm. Nothing better to do today I see eek.
              Plenty of better things to do today but they aren't as much fun
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Checkout splitting the tickets too. Especially if you end up changing lines at any point.
                I get to London with travel card on a day return for £59 with a split ticket. If I don't split it at Cambridge it costs £96.

Comment

You may NOT insult PC in the professional forums. But, come on Psychocandy, surely you can see your post was just a bit of a brainfart? On those grounds, I've moved it to General.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    You may NOT insult PC in the professional forums. But, come on Psychocandy, surely you can see your post was just a bit of a brainfart? On those grounds, I've moved it to General.
                    Moving it to general just means you're, in effect, giving permission to the idiots on here to play their childish little games though.

Comment

Working...
                    X