PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Specie (ZX)

Project Monkey
2nd January 2014, 16:47
I want one..

ZX Spectrum to be resurrected as Bluetooth keyboard - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10546696/ZX-Spectrum-to-be-resurrected-as-Bluetooth-keyboard.html)

xoggoth
2nd January 2014, 17:59
How can this thread possibly not be by zeity???

scooterscot
2nd January 2014, 18:12
Still got a ZX+ in the cellar somewhere..

suityou01
2nd January 2014, 18:30
Still got a ZX+ in the cellar somewhere..

Your stocks are rising.

Cliphead
2nd January 2014, 22:26
Much as it was fun at the time why would I want to go back and play Manic Miner? Nostalgia just for the sake of it?

Bollocks.

Cliphead
2nd January 2014, 22:30
It's just not wot it was. :eyes

Some 12 year old's gonna get excited about 8 bit graphics or whatever it was :laugh

What's their market? My generation? Good luck.

Cliphead
2nd January 2014, 22:36
:D them were the days.

Anyone want to buy my stock of Z80 chips?

:D

One careful owner, never raced nor rallied.

:D

Speccie, one of the first clients asked me to write an accounts program that printed to some addon hardware on thermal paper and backed up to tape. Was quicker and safer to do it on paper but cut my teeth on dev and they were delighted cos of bragging rights.

xoggoth
2nd January 2014, 22:45
Anyone else remember that little Sinclair printer that worked by burning the surface off a roll of silver covered paper? Worked rather well.

MPwannadecentincome
2nd January 2014, 23:50
I don't know why anyone would want to use that terrible rubber keyboard.

TykeMerc
3rd January 2014, 00:18
I don't know why anyone would want to use that terrible rubber keyboard.

They were great at the time, a real keyboard was damn expensive, it was the BBC, Dragon, Commodore (erm what the hell was that thing called?) and the likes where they got better, but the Spectrum was a LOT cheaper.

I worked for an IBM warranty company out of Uni and the keyboards were £217 + VAT to them back in the dark days of the PC and XT in the 1980's.

MPwannadecentincome
3rd January 2014, 10:35
They were great at the time, a real keyboard was damn expensive, it was the BBC, Dragon, Commodore (erm what the hell was that thing called?) and the likes where they got better, but the Spectrum was a LOT cheaper.

I worked for an IBM warranty company out of Uni and the keyboards were £217 + VAT to them back in the dark days of the PC and XT in the 1980's.

It was the Commodore 64, there was also a Commodore Pet I think for business.

don't forget to add the Trash 80 to the list!

alluvial
3rd January 2014, 11:08

I have fond memories of the Commodore Pet. My second job after college was in a lab in Tredegar as a lab assistant. They discovered that I could do a bit of programming and ended up creating data aquisition and control systems for the factory machinery. Great fun and I wish I'd continued in that vein.

I also tried using Locomotive Basic on the Amstrad running Gem, gave up on that after a bit.

TykeMerc
3rd January 2014, 12:28

Ah yes, cheers for that.

I worked for a mainframe company that used Commodore Pets as site servers when comms links failed so I occasionally had to fix them :)

alluvial
3rd January 2014, 18:15
Ah yes.

locomotive basic on top of Gem to give you 32k of program space in a 512k machine.

I remember it well.

Dumped in favour of IBM compiled basic very quickly.

They didn't stretch to compilers where I was working.
GW-BASIC programmes to control a number of peripherals via an IEEE interface board.
Come to think of it, I still have an old Amstrad in the loft that ran Norton Commander with a 30Mb hardrive. I've also got some of the peripherals and stuff as well.