• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide House Price Index Dec 2013

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationwide House Price Index Dec 2013

Happy New Year guys - hope you all had a good one.

Key Points from The Nationwide HPI 2013 are:

House prices continued to gain momentum as 2013 drew to a close

UK house prices increased by 1.4% in December and were 8.4% higher than December 2012

House prices are still around 5% below 2007 peak

http://i.emlfiles1.com/cmpdoc/1/1/2/...531C5M,7IM3E,1

Which just goes to show how ridiculously overvalued they were back then.

Comment

They were meant to have dropped 50% by now. What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
        They were meant to have dropped 50% by now. What happened?
        The value of money dropped by around 50%.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          The value of money dropped by around 50%.

HTH
          Except it didn't. And all those people running to tell us QE was going to lead to hyperinflation are looking rather silly. Of course most of them are now claiming they never said that.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Absolute bollocks as far as I'm concerned
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Except it didn't. And all those people running to tell us QE was going to lead to hyperinflation are looking rather silly. Of course most of them are now claiming they never said that.
              Real inflation (exclude plasma TVs, ipods) was at least 5% per year since 2008 - so that's around 30% using rough compound interest. Add to this increased taxes which in effect reduced real amount of money people have and you are not far from 50% mark - we'll get there in a few years.

I call such level of inflation in a 1st world country as hyperinflation. It would have been ok in Zimbabwe.

QE specifically is responsible for two things -
              1) drop in interest rates paid to savers to increase banks profit margins and give Govt cheap debt
              2) maintain consumer real estate bubble which is now getting inflated again

Might have to buy a house soon and then watch if I change my views

Comment

Working...
              X