• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police to Imprison People Who Forget Their Passwords.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police to Imprison People Who Forget Their Passwords.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4794383.stm

The government faces criticism over plans to give police powers to make suspects produce readable copies of encrypted computer evidence...
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

They already had such powers for a long time, think almost 10 years - basically anyone who won't provide password to decrypt data can go to jail, though I did not have about convictions - think now they will use it in respect of terrorist cases where there is already heavy suspicion on the person and encrypted data can be counted against you.

Comment

"We have to balance the right to private life with the right to private life of victims and the right to life of victims," he said.
      But as we saw in the recent paedophile cases of people fabricating their own images, there may not be any victims.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Having done a bit of sysadmin work briefly, it's my view that anyone who does forget their password should be put away
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
        X