• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No surprises here then.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No surprises here then.

Lies of the Daily Mail - Boing Boing

But still an entertaining read.

This year, the Mail reported that disabled people are exempt from the bedroom tax; that asylum-seekers had “targeted” Scotland; that disabled babies were being euthanised under the Liverpool Care Pathway; that a Kenyan asylum-seeker had committed murders in his home country; that 878,000 recipients of Employment Support Allowance had stopped claiming “rather than face a fresh medical”; that a Portsmouth primary school had denied pupils water on the hottest day of the year because it was Ramadan; that wolves would soon return to Britain; that nearly half the electricity produced by windfarms was discarded. All these reports were false.
    I presume that this year was last year - even the mail would struggle to cram all that crap into three days.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I presume that this year was last year - even the mail would struggle to cram all that crap into three days.
    It's essentially a fiction piece nowadays, and the website is nothing more than clickbait. I think the tide is turning, though - I'm hearing it being mocked a lot more nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Yes, that piece is taken from New Statesman last week.

Comment

All Mail inventions eh? Can't be bothered to check them all but here's two I did:

This from the Kenyan press:

murderer who killed up to 400 people in his homeland has been granted asylum in Britain.
        Mungiki Man Who Killed 400 In Kenya Granted Asylum In Britain - Nairobi Wire
        John Thuo, a Kenyan beyond Kenya | PinHole Kenya

This from a government report:

878,300 people claiming incapacity benefit - more than a third of the total - have chosen to
        drop their benefit claim entirely rather than face a medical assessment, new figures have
        revealed.
        http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.u...p-29052013.pdf

What the hell is wrong with some of you people, you're in IT and you can't figure out how Google works?
        Last edited by xoggoth; 3 January 2014, 23:58.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The John Thuo story was retracted by the Mail after a complaint to the PCC: Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Mr John Thuo

Found via Google

Going to the pub while the rain's stopped, so no time to check the other one

Comment

Don't know how unbiased it is but found this site today: illustrates how accurate but selective use of news can sometimes be used to make opposing cases anyway:

Full Fact | Promoting accuracy in public debate

The John Thuo story was retracted by the Mail after a complaint to the etc
            Ok, but no refutation of the other one so we're even! Same here re pub.

PS it reported claims that HE made and the immigration tribunal found his claims unlikely to be true? Eh?
            Last edited by xoggoth; 3 January 2014, 22:02.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I prefer the news according to PJ Harvey.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                What the hell is wrong with some of you people, you're in IT and you can't figure out how Google works?
                I've forgotten now, it's so long since I've used it.

When I need some simple search, I just ask here and some mug can't resist posting a "let me Google that for you" link.

BTW, anyone know where one can buy acrylic white paint?
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I know where they sell some stripey paint, if that helps?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

According to what this PCC link it was this chap himself who made claims of being a killer to a tribunal thinking it would help his asylum case. Quite why others should be castigated for reporting that I am not sure. If not a killer, he is a liar.

Nice to know that these tribunals have our safety at heart. Not. If true he would be a real danger to us and yet was allowed to stay because his own statement was only "unlikely" Do they mean claims of killing 400 people were unlikely or of killing anyone at all were unlikely? Real proof should always be necessary before somebody is imprisoned but not when it comes to refusing UK residence. We do not have a duty to put our citizens at risk for the safety of non citizens. He should not be here.

There are so many contradictions in lefty thinking on the asylum issue. They like to claim all asylum seekers are honest, yet dismiss claims like this as inventions. They accept that corruption, violence and crime in the third world are genuine reasons for people to flee their own nations yet reject any suggestion that those people can ever bring the corruption, violence or crime of their own societies with them.

Worst of all they seem to ignore human nature by blanket acceptance of these asylum tales. If any of you lived in real poverty and saw a chance of a better life somewhere else, wouldn't you be prepared to invent or exaggerate stories about violence and persecution? I bet you would. Yet actual asylum seekers never lie, they are all saints.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X