• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jim Abury, you are our kind of guy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Abury, you are our kind of guy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4794121.stm

Astronomers (and a few far-sighted politicians such as MP Lembit Opik) have been calling for ten years for proper funding for an international 'Spaceguard' program, to catalogue asteroids which may impact our planet. The proposed cost of this would be around £100 million - less than the cost of making a single Hollywood film such as 'Armageddon' or 'Deep Impact' - yet it seems we as a race prefer risking annihilation to spending 2p per person to save ourselves. With an attitude like that, we're 'doomed, Captain Wainwaring, doomed'. (Or is it possible that the people in power really are all alien lizards who want to kill us off and have this planet for themselves...?)
    Jim Abury, Leeds, UK

I think the USA should just genetically modify a breed of giant baseball players to send that piece of goddam rock to Pluto and back...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Isn’t Spaceguard just more profiling? It discriminates between those lumps of rock that might hit the Earth and those that won’t. We should treat them all the same and bring them all down to Earth no mater their orbit or size. There should be no ghettoes in space such as the asteroid belt or the ort-cloud.

It’s only fair.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
      X