• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wifi Adapter Or Socket Adapter Choice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi Adapter Or Socket Adapter Choice

We bought a Samsung smart TV for Xmas to go with my son's Xbox. The TV comes without built in wifi (conscious decision) and can be networked using a wifi adaptor, which Currys had advised to buy the following specific Samsung product SAMSUNG WIS12ABGNX/XEC Wireless LAN Adapter.

However in John Lewis (who provide 2 year warranty) they suggested the following TP-Link product, which plugs into the wall socket as an alternative option TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit.

I have not come across this TP-Link alternative before - can anyone advise if this would be recommended ahead of the wireless adapter solution, or if I should just go with the Samsung solution ?

Thanks

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    We bought a Samsung smart TV for Xmas to go with my son's Xbox. The TV comes without built in wifi (conscious decision) and can be networked using a wifi adaptor, which Currys had advised to buy the following specific Samsung product SAMSUNG WIS12ABGNX/XEC Wireless LAN Adapter.

However in John Lewis (who provide 2 year warranty) they suggested the following TP-Link product, which plugs into the wall socket as an alternative option TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit.

I have not come across this TP-Link alternative before - can anyone advise if this would be recommended ahead of the wireless adapter solution, or if I should just go with the Samsung solution ?

Thanks
    I bought my brother something similar from amazon earlier in the year for his Samsung Smart TV after a friend recommended them. Best thing he ever used. Much better than the wifi adaptors they were both using before.
    Pretty good price too - got them for £40 for a twin pack.
    They are unavailable on Amazon at present, ( as a twin-pack, they have singles at just over £16), but you may get them somewhere else ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HTH
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

I've got three of the TP-link 200Mbps powerline adapters. They're rock solid and haven't let me down once. No signal problems and no faffing around configuring wifi connections. Once the powerlines are paired together (only had to do this once after purchase and never had to do it again) its just like having ethernet running through your home.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        I've got three of the TP-link 200Mbps powerline adapters. They're rock solid and haven't let me down once. No signal problems and no faffing around configuring wifi connections. Once the powerlines are paired together (only had to do this once after purchase and never had to do it again) its just like having ethernet running through your home.
        I have 4 200M/bit ones and I have the opposite problem, sooner or later one will drop out and affect the others and as one it the main router to power line connection, that's the lot off. Then it's 30 mins pairing them up again, ask my Son, he's the one I get to do it!

Invested in a new Apple Extreme router, plus a secondhand one, plus two others I had lying around, as you do, placed strategically around the house - zero probs, zero dropouts.

Apple might be locked-in syndrome, but there are nice lock-ins....Hic...

Comment

Do these powerline options co-exist happily with X10?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I have 4 200M/bit ones and I have the opposite problem, sooner or later one will drop out and affect the others and as one it the main router to power line connection, that's the lot off. Then it's 30 mins pairing them up again, ask my Son, he's the one I get to do it!
            I've got a fairly simple ring circuit that is common for ground and 1st floor. Not sure if you'd need to do anything special if they're separate. Apparently the powerline adapters also work if you've got separate phased circuits but with degraded signal/performance. Could something like this be your problem?

Comment

For anyone looking at Powerline adapters, just got this through

Buffalo 500Mbps Gigabit
              Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Comment

I bought a 22" Samsung with built in wifi which has been rock solid, I also run a PC on TP-Link powerline's without problem.

I love the way it picks up DLNA content on my NAS so I can stream all my tv/movies.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  ...However in John Lewis (who provide 2 year warranty) they suggested the following TP-Link product, which plugs into the wall socket as an alternative option TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit.

I've been using the AV500+ Gigabit ethernet adaptors with pass-thru mains facility and recommend them over Wifi for signal quality and reliability. I wouldn't personally buy the ones without mains pass-thru as they're a bit restrictive and I don't have many spare wall-sockets (they don't recommend using them from an extension lead socket).

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    I've been using the AV500+ Gigabit ethernet adaptors with pass-thru mains facility and recommend them over Wifi for signal quality and reliability. I wouldn't personally buy the ones without mains pass-thru as they're a bit restrictive and I don't have many spare wall-sockets (they don't recommend using them from an extension lead socket).

Boo
                    I know it's not recommended but both of mine are on power bar extension leads, no problems at all.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X