• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming over here and taking our houses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming over here and taking our houses

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Landlord with 1,000 homes evicts tenants on benefits: He claims Eastern Europeans are better at paying the rent | Mail Online

A buy-to-let tycoon has banned housing benefit tenants in favour of Eastern European migrants who he says are more likely to pay their rent on time.

Fergus Wilson has sent eviction notices to 200 tenants on housing benefit and said he would not accept any more welfare applicants.

The former maths teacher, who built up one of Britain’s biggest buy-to-let empires with his wife Judith, said his decision was based on experience as he had found Eastern Europeans were less likely to default on rent payments than Britons on housing benefit.

of course this will be down to money grabbing landlords not idiotic decisions by councils or tenants.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Eastern Europeans pay because if they do not they get kicked out.

Doleites do not pay cos they do not give a fook about anybody but themselves.

I struggle to disagree with him - any business owner goes after customers who pay on time.

Comment

Solution is to ship the benefit claimants over to Bulgaria, to occupy the properties vacated by the Bulgarians over here. Simples

Comment

The benefits claimants business model turned sour when the Government changed the rules and gave the rent to the claimants themselves, making them responsible for paying landlords.

A sizeable percentage p1ssed the money up the wall, ensuring that profits for landlords tumbled while risks increased massively.

Like others have said - a business decision.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          The benefits claimants business model turned sour when the Government changed the rules and gave the rent to the claimants themselves, making them responsible for paying landlords.

A sizeable percentage p1ssed the money up the wall, ensuring that profits for landlords tumbled while risks increased massively.

Like others have said - a business decision.
          Not just that, I have known the council to sit on direct pay rent for 3 months for no real reason and their attitude is very relaxed despite it causing the landlord financial difficulty.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Not just that, I have known the council to sit on direct pay rent for 3 months for no real reason and their attitude is very relaxed despite it causing the landlord financial difficulty.
            Yeah. We have a property on a street which is mostly benefits tenants. We have had one tenant who paid reliably, over the last 4 years. Others have taken months before we got anything, and it's nearly always due to the council taking so long to set up the benefits payments after change of address; I think in our council at least they re-start the whole damn process.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Yeah. We have a property on a street which is mostly benefits tenants. We have had one tenant who paid reliably, over the last 4 years. Others have taken months before we got anything, and it's nearly always due to the council taking so long to set up the benefits payments after change of address; I think in our council at least they re-start the whole damn process.
              I don't rent to people on benefits. Two reasons, one they don't have any concept of work / money, two if you have to live on benefits then you dont have any respect for yourself let alone my properties.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Eastern Europeans pay because if they do not they get kicked out.

Doleites do not pay cos they do not give a fook about anybody but themselves.

I struggle to disagree with him - any business owner goes after customers who pay on time.
                A lot of housing benefit claimants are working, not 'doleites'. They don't pay cos now the money goes to them direct its spent on other things.

The government has done itself no favours, of course they don't give a tulip cos it's not them that suffers.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I don't rent to people on benefits. Two reasons, one they don't have any concept of work / money, two if you have to live on benefits then you dont have any respect for yourself let alone my properties.
                  I agree. Sadly we're stuck with a property in an area nobody wants to buy, where the vast majority of people are on benefits.

We'd be rid of it in a shot if we could, it's a constant source of stress.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    A lot of housing benefit claimants are working, not 'doleites'. They don't pay cos now the money goes to them direct its spent on other things.

The government has done itself no favours, of course they don't give a tulip cos it's not them that suffers.
                    Well okay no need to split hairs!

It's interesting though as I did not realise the government paid the proles and then expect the proles to pay their landlord!

It's a bit like giving them dole money and epecting them to spend it on food for the kids and not booze n fags..

it's just goes back to the age old argument that you should not give money but give things which are useful and helpful

hey ho

Comment

Working...
                    X