• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with £10k?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with £10k?

I've £10k sitting in my account after taking a dividend. I have not yet maxed out my and the wife's ISAs for the current tax year so that would normally be where I'd put it. On the other hand I have a mortgage (taken out May 2013) charging around 3.5% which allows me to overpay more than £10k each year fee-free.

I'll have more dividends before April but which makes most sense - get the mortgage payments reduced now with immediate effect seems best to me?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You could get a Life.?

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've £10k sitting in my account after taking a dividend. I have not yet maxed out my and the wife's ISAs for the current tax year so that would normally be where I'd put it. On the other hand I have a mortgage (taken out May 2013) charging around 3.5% which allows me to overpay more than £10k each year fee-free.

I'll have more dividends before April but which makes most sense - get the mortgage payments reduced now with immediate effect seems best to me?
    Stop hording and start living, You are a long time dead sir

Comment

Is the ISA paying more than 3.5%?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If you don't use your ISA allowance you lose it forever, whereas if you do the gains are tax free forever. So that might be one case where the ISA would be better in the long run even if it doesn't beat 3.5%.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Is the ISA paying more than 3.5%?
          If it's a stocks and shares ISA it will, longer term, but we are due another PIGS eurozone crisis as payments become due this year.

I'm holding mine back for a little while.

Comment

On the other hand I am in debt, costing around 3.5%
            FTFY. Pay the debt. No brainer, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Not always. It's always good to have a pot of cash or some liquidity at hand for a rainy day.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                My stocks and shares investments are averaging 11% pa currently - still a no-brainer ?

Comment

If risk averse, find a bank account paying more than 3.5%

I have a Clydesdale one (up to £3000 at 4%), and a Nationwide one (up to £2500 at 5%) where some of my savings sit that beats that mortgage rate.

These may not be available any more of course (Clydesdale opened last month, Nationwide about 10 months ago).
                  Last edited by jmo21; 6 January 2014, 13:45.

Comment

Stocks are inherently high risk though, for me they are what you do with money left over.

The point about making sure to max out your cash ISA makes good sense since you don't get to go back and change your mind; one could make a case for prioritising the full ISA allowance i.e. a few grand into stocks before you consider mortgage repayments though.

I should emphasise I plan to max out the cash ISA before the deadline regardless. I think I'll go for overpaying the mortgage now and then do the ISA nearer the deadline when I pull out the rest of the year's dividends.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X