• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tulip gig - coping mechanisms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tulip gig - coping mechanisms

Apart from keeping a total of the revenue earned what are your coping mechanisms for tulip gigs?

I am 10 days in and the programme is a car crash happening in slow motion. I am not in a role to influence it so already having a challenge keeping my mouth shut and motivation is already waining!

Not whinging guys I just thought it would be interesting to hear how peeps deal with tulip gigs...

So far mine are:

1. Spreadsheet tracking revenue earned to date
    2. Get out the office at lunch for a walk
    3. Remember what the bench was like
    4. Getting a days work done in half a day and working on Plan B...

Don't really know as all my gigs have been complete successes.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

See avatar.

<----
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You'll know it's really bad when you start accumulating little piles of rubbish, sweet wrappers etc to give you an excuse to cross the office to the bin 2 or 3 times a day.

Comment

5. Cracking one off in the bog a few times a day.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            See avatar.

<----

Just do the work you have to do as quickly as possible and use the rest of the time on something more productive....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              5. Cracking one off in the bog a few times a day.
              Whine incessantly on CUK shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                Whine incessantly on CUK shirley?
                I explicitly didn't mention posting on CUK to avoid the risk another poster started doing just that.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                  Apart from keeping a total of the revenue earned what are your coping mechanisms for tulip gigs?

I am 10 days in and the programme is a car crash happening in slow motion. I am not in a role to influence it so already having a challenge keeping my mouth shut and motivation is already waining!

Not whinging guys I just thought it would be interesting to hear how peeps deal with tulip gigs...

So far mine are:

1. Spreadsheet tracking revenue earned to date
                  2. Get out the office at lunch for a walk
                  3. Remember what the bench was like
                  4. Getting a days work done in half a day and working on Plan B...
                  1 Yes. Always helps.
                  2 Not in this weather you fewl.
                  3 Not necessarily, if the gig is that tulip you might start pining for the bench.
                  4 Yes. But also not getting caught, or causing ructions.

5 Take iPod, and listen to music / radio / podcasts while you work. You could be learning Spanish for example.

Most importantly keep remembering that it's their project, their pile of mess. You are a Contractwhore, so if they want tulipe, warn them, then get the request in writing, then deliver the tulipe as requested.

9/10 you have to let things fall over by natural causes before you can build them back up again. Try and think of it as every maniac decision is another days extension to sort it out for them. That is if you don't let them get to you, and you blow your top in the mean time.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    1 Yes. Always helps.
                    2 Not in this weather you fewl.
                    3 Not necessarily, if the gig is that tulip you might start pining for the bench.
                    4 Yes. But also not getting caught, or causing ructions.

5 Take iPod, and listen to music / radio / podcasts while you work. You could be learning Spanish for example.

Most importantly keep remembering that it's their project, their pile of mess. You are a Contractwhore, so if they want tulipe, warn them, then get the request in writing, then deliver the tulipe as requested.

9/10 you have to let things fall over by natural causes before you can build them back up again. Try and think of it as every maniac decision is another days extension to sort it out for them. That is if you don't let them get to you, and you blow your top in the mean time.
                    Very helpful, thank you.

Yep got the iPad on their guest wifi for muzak.

PS: sig sorted so how about the avatar

Comment

Working...
                    X