• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contracting direct

I am a civil, limited company contractor. The six month contract job I was doing finished in the first month of December just before Chrstmas and was not renewed.

Just yesterday the company/client got in touch to inform me of their decision to hire me again with possible start date of January the 20th 2014. I raised the idea of contracting direct with the client during the telcon and they are very keen on this.

I am relatively new to contracting work and would like to certain there are not going to be negative implications i.e. breach of contract from the previous agency agreement?

Kind regards

Originally posted by Vico View Post
    I am a civil, limited company contractor. The six month contract job I was doing finished in the first month of December just before Chrstmas and was not renewed.

Just yesterday the company/client got in touch to inform me of their decision to hire me again with possible start date of January the 20th 2014. I raised the idea of contracting direct with the client during the telcon and they are very keen on this.

I am relatively new to contracting work and would like to certain there are not going to be negative implications i.e. breach of contract from the previous agency agreement?

Kind regards
    Check the clauses in the previous contract regarding going direct and if I'm not mistake if you "opted out" then it also has implications.

Comment

Originally posted by SuPaStA View Post
      Check the clauses in the previous contract regarding going direct and if I'm not mistake if you "opted out" then it also has implications.
      The client should also check their contract with the agency, which in all probability is more restrictive than your one.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Don't tell the agency
        Blood in your poo

Comment

What benefits are you expecting to gain going direct though? It isn't always a given you will get more cash going direct. Depends on how the client did business with the agent. Just because a client gave an agent £400 of which you got £350 it isn't a given you will get £400 by going direct. The client should be looking at making a saving as he isn't paying an intermediary.

If you can get to the bottom of the rates and there is no benefit here then why else would you consider muddying the waters?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What benefits are you expecting to gain going direct though? It isn't always a given you will get more cash going direct. Depends on how the client did business with the agent. Just because a client gave an agent £400 of which you got £350 it isn't a given you will get £400 by going direct. The client should be looking at making a saving as he isn't paying an intermediary.

If you can get to the bottom of the rates and there is no benefit here then why else would you consider muddying the waters?
            But if you can get £375 then everyone's happy (apart from the Agent).

Comment

If you do go through with it, be very clear on the payment terms and make sure they stick with them. You don't want to sign up and then discover they won't pay you for 3 months after invoice.

That's really the only downside to going direct: you might have more of a battle to get your money.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by javadude View Post
                But if you can get £375 then everyone's happy (apart from the Agent).
                Indeed. The message is make sure there are tangible benefits for going direct. Don't just assume it's better.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  If you do go through with it, be very clear on the payment terms and make sure they stick with them. You don't want to sign up and then discover they won't pay you for 3 months after invoice.

That's really the only downside to going direct: you might have more of a battle to get your money.
                  ^ this.

However, "be very clear on the payment terms and make sure they stick with them"...IME you can be as clear as you like, but trying to get them to 'stick with them' can be problematic, regardless of what any contract might say.

Early doors of business life, & going direct with a major consultancy a few years ago, I once waited 96 days for an invoice to get paid...naturally I was fuming. Emails/calls to them on the subject got me nowhere tbh. [I had 'strictly 30 days' in the contract, btw.]

Based on this experience, I declined future opportunities with them, which you could say was cutting my own throat but I couldn't be doing with further late payment repetitions.
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

I'm direct at the moment and it's 45 days, I've no problem as it is a big multinational, so the money is there and it will get paid eventually, however with smaller companies I'd have my doubts about extending credit terms.

Comment

Working...
                    X