• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate Car Parks!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate Car Parks!

Especially the one’s that don’t advertise the prices until you have driven up three floors along a narrow ramp and the prices are displayed at the barrier. It’s then impossible to turn around. Ie. You onl;y want to park for 20mins and then you find the minimum charge is £6.80 for two hours. (One day a will just wait there until security comes.)

Half empty car parks and you park away from everyone else so the next car doesn’t knock your’s with there door and the next car insists or being orderly and parks next to yours.

And the blithering idiot who you don’t know if he/she is trying to park or trying to get out of the space. I had one of these this morning, He was there when I went into the shop, he was still trying to get/ou wend I finshed shopping.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Don't worry, the next tax will be on parking spaces. £6.80 will look like a bargain for 20 mins then. Mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
      then you find the minimum charge is £6.80 for two hours.
      This might be an unfair business practice (unless its long wait kind of car park at Heathrow where you meant to park for days) - talk to Trading Standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        Especially the one’s that don’t advertise the prices until you have driven up three floors along a narrow ramp and the prices are displayed at the barrier. It’s then impossible to turn around. Ie. You onl;y want to park for 20mins and then you find the minimum charge is £6.80 for two hours. (One day a will just wait there until security comes.)

Half empty car parks and you park away from everyone else so the next car doesn’t knock your’s with there door and the next car insists or being orderly and parks next to yours.

And the blithering idiot who you don’t know if he/she is trying to park or trying to get out of the space. I had one of these this morning, He was there when I went into the shop, he was still trying to get/ou wend I finshed shopping.
        Heres's a tip. Most of these car park barriers will let you out without validating your ticket if you leave within 1 hour of arrival (at busy times), 30 minutes at less busy times.
        I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
          Heres's a tip. Most of these car park barriers will let you out without validating your ticket if you leave within 1 hour of arrival (at busy times), 30 minutes at less busy times.
          I did get caught in one that didn't (La Defense). I entered (on the last Saturday afternoon before Christmas, silly of me) and couldn't find any space at all, so I went to the exit. There was no free time, I would have to pay. So I buzzed the attendant and he explained that I'd have to pay and there was no choice. I waited right there until he came along and finally decided that he'd rather have me out of the way than press on with the argument.

Comment

Yes I actually wanted to ask for some time - what stops taking new ticket at the barrier and using it on exit? Not something I would do (as it would be classed as fraud), but just curious if they had thought about it.

Comment

Car parks with spaces so narrow that you can't even half-open the doors even on a VW Polo FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                I did get caught in one that didn't (La Defense). I entered (on the last Saturday afternoon before Christmas, silly of me) and couldn't find any space at all, so I went to the exit. There was no free time, I would have to pay. So I buzzed the attendant and he explained that I'd have to pay and there was no choice. I waited right there until he came along and finally decided that he'd rather have me out of the way than press on with the argument.
                It's at the discression of the operator how much time they give. But most will be 30-60 minutes e.g. NCP or council run ones. Also you have a similar time from paying to getting your car out.
                I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Yes I actually wanted to ask for some time - what stops taking new ticket at the barrier and using it on exit? Not something I would do (as it would be classed as fraud), but just curious if they had thought about it.
                  Mostly they wont issue a ticket if there isn't a car standing at the barrier. I found this out when my window got stuck shut: I still had to drive right up before I got out to get a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    Car parks with spaces so narrow that you can't even half-open the doors even on a VW Polo FFS!
                    The two door Polo doors are longer than most Saloon cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X