• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I have to be a director of a LTD company I contract under?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to be a director of a LTD company I contract under?

Hi,

Just got a contract secured and would like to use my partners LTD company to work under. However, the agency is insisting I become a director and without me as a director they can't give me the contract.

Is this normal practice in contracting?

Gene

We have clients that work through their partners companies without being a director of it, likewise if you worked through an umbrella you wouldn't be a director of that!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Woodman View Post
      Hi,

Just got a contract secured and would like to use my partners LTD company to work under. However, the agency is insisting I become a director and without me as a director they can't give me the contract.

Gene
      Normal practice is that you are a director, but you don't have to be. If they are insisted on it, and you can't get a contract with them otherwise, then you either walk away or become a director.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Agreed, I've worked with other agencies without being the director. Very strange. They insist i become director prior to having contract signed.

Gene.

Comment

Hi,

Gene
          When I first started contracting I was not a director of my Ltd as my credit ratign was not good enough to get a business back account, so my father set the account up on my behalf.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

A Director's signature may be requested but it doesn't have to be you.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              When I first started contracting I was not a director of my Ltd as my credit ratign was not good enough to get a business back account, so my father set the account up on my behalf.
              Is your credit rating as good as your typing?
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                A Director's signature may be requested but it doesn't have to be you.
                Even though I'm a director of the company, and sole shareholder, I get the company secretary to sign the contracts. That's what she's paid to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  Is your credit rating as good as your typing?
                  My typing is gooder
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Agreed, I've worked with other agencies without being the director. Very strange. They insist i become director prior to having contract signed.
                    The agent's probably used to everything being one way their tiny brains can't cope with anything slightly different.

Then again, an employee of a company might walk at any time without honouring the contract, so maybe they see that as an issue.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X