• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contract - Help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Contract - Help!

Hello, my name is Ian and I am currently looking for a first contract after losing my perm job in IT.

I am based in the North East.

I am spending a lot of time on search sites such as this one, jobserve, CW jobs, IT Job Board to name a fraction!

The market appears to be pretty buoyant at the moment and I have applied for a few contract roles but could do with a little advice on things like:

Good contract agencies
    Good Umberella Companies - or best to go alone?
    Best ways of looking for contracts
    Networking with other contractors in Co Durham area

Or any other advice you'd like to offer the nervous 1st time contractor - YOU HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!!

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

buoyant
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by IAN_DH
      Hello, my name is Ian and I am currently looking for a first contract after losing my perm job in IT.

I am based in the North East.

I am spending a lot of time on search sites such as this one, jobserve, CW jobs, IT Job Board to name a fraction!

The market appears to be pretty boyant at the moment and I have applied for a few contract roles but could do with a little advice on things like:

Good contract agencies
      Good Umberella Companies - or best to go alone?
      Best ways of looking for contracts
      Networking with other contractors in Co Durham area

Or any other advice you'd like to offer the nervous 1st time contractor - YOU HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!!

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sink or swim!

Comment

To save you a lot of abuse read the first timers guide ( hint look over -> there) then go to the contracts forum and read the sticky there about Ltd vs Brolly.
        You could try the PCG web site too.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

There must be money to be made writing a 1st timers guide to IT contracting in the 21st century (available in paperback, hardback and e-book)

Stick "Don't Panic" on the front and charge £19.99 a copy.

Comment

Cheers for your thoughts. Doing research and this site seems to give some decent advice.

Comment

Maybe a better screen name is good advice, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by IAN_DH
                Maybe a better screen name is good advice, huh?
                Up to you. A silly avatar is definitely recommended though.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  Up to you. A silly avatar is definitely recommended though.

Ideally if you can find a monkey avatar. We always welcome new members to defeat the dalek invaders, thanks.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                    Ideally if you can find a monkey avatar. We always welcome new members to defeat the dalek invaders, thanks.
                    the tortoise will rule the world, eventually
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                    X