• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snobbery in cycling clubs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snobbery in cycling clubs?

Mr C is contemplating joining a cycling club. He's a reasonable cyclist who cycles the 10 miles to and from work most days but wants to 'up a gear' in his enjoyment of cycling. He's even looking at buying a new bike.

And this is where the above question kicks in.

He's not looking at anything special - a Decathalon B'TWIN Triban 3 will do fine.

I just wonder if there is any snobbery in cycling clubs when it comes to what bike you have. Are they pleased just to have new members or would they care if he passes them on his B'TWIN?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Mr C is contemplating joining a cycling club. He's a reasonable cyclist who cycles the 10 miles to and from work most days but wants to 'up a gear' in his enjoyment of cycling. He's even looking at buying a new bike.

He's not looking at anything special - a Decathalon B'TWIN Triban 3 will do fine.

I just wonder if there is any snobbery in cycling clubs when it comes to what bike you have. Are they pleased just to have new members or would they care if he passes them on his B'TWIN?
    Think it depends on the club. I'd suggest the CTC for a friendly non-competitive club (if that what he's looking for) where many of the members (mostly gentlemen of mature years) have been riding the same bike for 20+ years. However, their regional groups do vary - I've been out with Reading and Fleet, and the demographic and speed of rides is very different, but both very welcoming and friendly. They'll let you do a couple of rides without joining to see if it's for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Most clubs will do a new riders run every month or so for newcomers to try it out and see what they think. Like any social group, they are all different and it's worth trying out a few to fond one you get on with. Bike snobbery exists but looking at that bike for that price I'd be willing to live with it until I was ready to upgrade.

The club I got out with ride everything from full carbon to steel single speeds, we even have a couple on a tandem who ride regularly.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

There is a bit and it's they tend to find it difficult to keep beginners sessions to a reasonable pace as the pack mentality takes over.

A good middle ground is the CTC and another option is to ask around the local bike shops as they tend to run social rides that are quicker than commute but not influenced by club mentality and politics.

Comment

I have seen old boys on scaffolding overtake cervelos, it's what's in the legs that count. Turning up on a poncy bike and being rubbish will make you memorable for all the wrong reasons. I have a decathlon road bike as my starter bike, it was used by a pro team recently, most cyclists know that. If they are snobby, find another group.

Comment

Cyclists generally are right up themselves. They are the worst roads users - but think they own the highways. Anything slightly odd and they hate it. Especially tri-athletes.

Fookers. Get MrC to run one over next time he is out in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Cyclists generally are right up themselves. They are the worst roads users - but think they own the highways.
              Although they don't pay any tax for the privilege of using the roads, we owe cyclists and Prius drivers a debt of gratitude for saving the planet so that makes it all OK.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Although they don't pay any tax for the privilege of using the roads, we owe cyclists and Prius drivers a debt of gratitude for saving the planet so that makes it all OK.
                Don't feel bad, car drivers don't pay any road tax, either.

Comment

Ha how to confuse a wanderer, no one pays road tax ejit

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                    Ha how to confuse a wanderer, no one pays road tax ejit
                    A very unlike Dallas post. Whats up with you? Not getting enough from the hunks at the rowing club?

Comment

Working...
                    X