• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extreme Commuting Part Deux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme Commuting Part Deux

BBC News - Readers' tales of extreme commuting

Ramsbottom, Lancashire to Aldgate, London
    Distance: 218 miles (351km)

Duration: Six-hour round trip

Mode of transport: Car, train, tube

Stuart Williams: "I work as an IT project manager in the city by Aldgate and commute daily from home.

"My day starts at 04:45, before leaving home for a 25-mile drive to Stockport train station at 6am. From Euston I then get the tube to Aldgate arriving just before 09:00 - if everything is working as it should be. I then make the return journey at 18:00 from Euston, arriving home at 21:00. I've worked out that the travel is exactly the same as the cost of renting in London - so therefore a better option."
    I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion.
    1) The season ticket alone is over £1200, it is easy to find reasonable digs for under that in London
    2) even if it is EXACTLY the same not having to travel for 6 hours every day has got to be good for ones mental health
    3) I hope to dear God that I never get project managed by this mentalist
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    BBC News - Readers' tales of extreme commuting

I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion.
    1) The season ticket alone is over £1200, it is easy to find reasonable digs for under that in London
    2) even if it is EXACTLY the same not having to travel for 6 hours every day has got to be good for ones mental health
    3) I hope to dear God that I never get project managed by this mentalist
    Yep; sounds to me llike an extreme stinge who's done all the calculations instead of thinking about what's actually better for him and the people around him. If the commute's more than 2 hours one way (and I include about 15 minutes break while driving) then I grab a hotel room, perhaps for a couple of nights a week. At the moment I'm staying away all week as it's a 2.5 hour drive to get home and it's winter. In summer I make that 2 nights. Sure, it costs a bit more than commuting but the costs are tax deductable and its better for my health to have a bit of free time and get a good night's sleep.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What on Earth is the point in that? You're not even winning the "see your family" argument, unless you count looking through the door on the way to bed for your next early get up. Much better staying over, having a good weeks worth of work and then arriving home feeling good on Friday. I can't speak for his project, but most of the people I work with are happy for me to work longer hours Mon-Thur in return for an early Friday finish.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        What on Earth is the point in that? You're not even winning the "see your family" argument, unless you count looking through the door on the way to bed for your next early get up. Much better staying over, having a good weeks worth of work and then arriving home feeling good on Friday. I can't speak for his project, but most of the people I work with are happy for me to work longer hours Mon-Thur in return for an early Friday finish.
        As he says, "I've worked out that the travel is exactly the same as the cost of renting in London - so therefore a better option."

It's a financial thing; he's perhaps obsessed with getting the cheapest deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          As he says, "I've worked out that the travel is exactly the same as the cost of renting in London - so therefore a better option."

It's a financial thing; he's perhaps obsessed with getting the cheapest deal.
          Yep - hadn't seen your previous reply, but you're totally correct. He's making the mistake that the cost is all about money! Hope he's covered for the inevitable heart attack, brought on by the similarly inevitable divorce or seperation.*

*I'm making assumptions here, but if he isn't travelling back for family then he's even stupider than I thought.

Comment

For some people, being away from home/family is a last resort, they'd rather drive 3 hours to see their family for 1 hour a day.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hang on. My journey is 68 miles each way (takes an hour as its all motorway + 1 mile each end).

Yet I stay over 2 nights a week just to avoid that 2 hours of driving.... I really couldn't do that journey on a daily basis.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                For some people, being away from home/family is a last resort, they'd rather drive 3 hours to see their family for 1 hour a day.
                That's very understandable, but it's worthwhile thinking about the stress involved and whether they might be giving their family more in the long run by staying away a couple of nights and taking the strain off themselves. It might also lead to more quality free time at weekends if they arent knackered all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I used to have them come and stay with me during the school holidays, when I was weekly commuting.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    That's very understandable, but it's worthwhile thinking about the stress involved and whether they might be giving their family more in the long run by staying away a couple of nights and taking the strain off themselves. It might also lead to more quality free time at weekends if they arent knackered all the time.
                    I guess they discuss these things and still reach the same conclusion, or it's something which isn't even up for discussion due to upbringing - knackering yourself to provide for the family is just something you do.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X