• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear, King Arfur's in trouble. Again.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, King Arfur's in trouble. Again.

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Interesting, very interesting.

It seems he did quite well out of Mrs Thatcher's time in government.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When they are in Britain, Scargill and Nell divide their time between various decidedly non-egalitarian properties: her neat terrace house near the Olympic site in East London; a flat in the Barbican in the City of London; and 'Treelands', a detached stone-built house on the fringes of Worsbrough, which Scargill bought just seven months after the strike ended for around £200,000 (about £420,000 at today's prices).

To buy Treelands, he borrowed money from the International Miners' Organisation, of which he was president.

The highly controversial purchase (made in his son-in-law's name to ensure that the house wasn't seized by the Official Receiver after the NUM's £10.7 million funds were sequestrated because they failed to pay strike-related fines) prompted the famous observation that its owner had 'started the strike with a big union and a small house, and ended it with a big house and a small union'.
      hmmm
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

When's the real King Arfur and his army gonna stop kipping under Alderly Edge and come out to chase off all these immigrants? That's wot I wonna know!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Originally posted by vetran View Post
          hmmm
          Inneresting but not hugely surprising. Not to me at least.

Most people I've come across in my life who like to be seen to be flying the red flag are busy lining their pockets while everyone's looking the other way.

I remember the president of my old Alma Mater's student union being very much of that ilk. Whenever he had a megaphone in his hand it was all the usual "comrades we've got to show solidarity with the workers of <insert fascist organisation here>" kind of guff all delivered in a mock cockney accent while his brand new Fiat Strada that mummy and daddy had bought him was round the back, engine running for a swift getaway in case some real workers were listening and took umbrage at this little posh boy from Cheltenham masquerading as a fully paid up, horney handed member of the proletariate class.

Anyhow, the reality of the situation is that he did a runner having dipped into the Union's coffers as well as owing numerous individual students (myself included) hundreds of pounds.

Ron Coleman - I'm calling you out!
          Last edited by Gittins Gal; 13 January 2014, 16:33.

Comment

Not seen any stats but when people are lining their own pockets it usually seems to be the left. Look at MPs expenses, the prosecutions for illegal claims. Righties seem to prefer sexual scandals.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Our leaders are scum generally really:

MPs portraits cost taxpayer £250,000 - Telegraph
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Our leaders are scum generally really:

MPs portraits cost taxpayer £250,000 - Telegraph
                I can't say I was shocked when I heard the story on the radio, seeing the numbers in print and the awful pictures does put the waste of cash at a time when there are shortages in vital services in context.

Could just have the useless feckers stuffed and hung for posterity, that would feel like better value for money and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find volunteers to do the work on the cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  It seems he did quite well out of Mrs Thatcher's time in government.
                  Worth every penny for his clever leadership of the NUM.

Comment

I thought he was dead.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X