• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extreme sleeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme sleeping

You could use that extreme commute to catch up on some z's

I once heard that some businessmen got a doctor to put them to sleep for a week. I have never been able to find evidence of this on the internet. Has anyone got any evidence of this happening?

Comment

Dunno, but author and celebrity junky William Burroughs underwent a 'sleep cure', the theory being that you slept your way through withdrawal...

Prolonged Sleep.--The theory sounds good. You go to sleep and wake up cured. Industrial doses of chloral hydrate, barbiturates, thorazine, only produced a nightmare state of semi-consciousness. Withdrawal of sedation, after 5 days, occasioned a severe shock. Symptoms of acute morphine deprivation supervened. The end result was a combined syndrome of unparalleled horror. No cure I ever took was as painful as this allegedly painless method. The cycle of sleep and wakefulness is always deeply disturbed during withdrawal. To further disturb it with massive sedation seems contraindicated to say the least. Withdrawal of morphine is sufficiently traumatic without adding to it withdrawal of barbiturates. After two weeks in the hospital (five days sedation, ten days "rest") I was still so weak that I fainted when I tried to walk up a slight incline. I consider prolonged sleep the worst possible method of treating withdrawal.”
      I'm working on sleeping with my eyes open during Design Forum meetings, might as well for all the notice they take of my contributions ...
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Dunno, but author and celebrity junky William Burroughs underwent a 'sleep cure', the theory being that you slept your way through withdrawal...
        They still do similar at detox clinics - five days (or so) under sedation. The problem being that withdrawal symptoms are just the first part of the journey. Changes in the brain caused by drug abuse can take years to return to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I once heard that some businessmen got a doctor to put them to sleep for a week. I have never been able to find evidence of this on the internet. Has anyone got any evidence of this happening?
          Isn't that what they've done to Michael Schumacher?

I'd be much more open to the idea of taking long haul flights if you could be loaded on unconscious and then wake up 2 days later in an Australian hotel. Plus the airline could pack much more people onto the plane, so win win.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I'd be much more open to the idea of taking long haul flights if you could be loaded on unconscious and then wake up 2 days later in an Australian hotel. Plus the airline could pack much more people onto the plane, so win win.
            Ha ha what a bizarre idea ... yet somehow quite compelling !

Comment

Essentially. And coincidentally James Herriot talks about using this technique on animals suffering from very bad pain, when I was re-reading one of his books!

I've had that thought before as well - knock you out and slide you into a sleeping tube (like a coffin really) - so you can stack the whole plane full of living 'cargo'. Like spaceship full of hibernating crew in sci-fi
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I was living in the UK and working in Germany, I used to find my seat on the plane, tie a bandana round my eyes, and go to sleep immediately, waking up only on touchdown. A bit like Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now! Perhaps that's not a good model for a contractor.

Comment

Me too - where do I sign?

Comment

Brilliant idea, I would take this just one step further, take a pill at home and they do all suitcase packing as well.

Go to bed and wake up in Australia
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X