• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trip down under

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip down under

Heading down to Oz for 3 weeks in May but would like some planning help from those that have been.

Need to fit in at least a weekend in Melbourne to see friends and also allow for a week in Cairns for diving. Rest is flexible.

What's the best way to see the most? Fly to SYD and drive down to MEL taking a week, then fly to Cairns for a week, fly to Brisbane and drive to SYD over the week.

Or fly to MEL for a few days then fly to Cairns for a week, flight to Brisbane and then drive to MEL via SYD in about 9 - 10 days?

Would the drive from Cairns to Brisbane be a killer or is there plenty to see/do? Is the drive between MEL/SYD worth it or better to fly and spend more time enjoying the cities?

Any info appreciated. Ta.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Heading down to Oz for 3 weeks in May but would like some planning help from those that have been.

Need to fit in at least a weekend in Melbourne to see friends and also allow for a week in Cairns for diving. Rest is flexible.

What's the best way to see the most? Fly to SYD and drive down to MEL taking a week, then fly to Cairns for a week, fly to Brisbane and drive to SYD over the week.

Or fly to MEL for a few days then fly to Cairns for a week, flight to Brisbane and then drive to MEL via SYD in about 9 - 10 days?

Would the drive from Cairns to Brisbane be a killer or is there plenty to see/do? Is the drive between MEL/SYD worth it or better to fly and spend more time enjoying the cities?

Lucky thing. Not jealous much.

Cairns to Brisbane is a superb road trip.

Check out the Whitsunday Islands. Stunningly beautiful Islands. Amazing beaches. Pretty much unmissable if you like sailing. .
    The Whitsundays - Lonely Planet

Fraser Island Hire a 4x4 and explore for a couple of days.

Fraser Island lies just off the east coast of Australia. At 122 km long, it is the largest sand island in the world. Majestic remnants of tall rainforest growing on sand and half the world’s perched freshwater dune lakes are found inland from the beach. The combination of shifting sand-dunes, tropical rainforests and lakes makes it an exceptional site.
    Fraser Island - Overview - World Heritage Places

Brisbane to Sydney.
    Check out Bryon Bay. Quirky little 'alternative' seaside town. Great diving/beaches/whale watching
    Last edited by Flashman; 14 January 2014, 12:37.

Comment

Sydney to Melbourne by road probably isn't worth it. You can pass through Canberra but there's not much else. Melbourne to Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road is much better. Only problem is being in Adelaide at the end of it

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
        Check out Bryon Bay. Quirky little 'alternative' seaside town. Great diving/beaches/whale watching
        WHS

Friends from Brisbane still don't shut up about Byron Bay and they've been here for years

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Pondy, Do you have kids and are you taking them with you?

Comment

Cheers folks. Keep it coming.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Pondy, Do you have kids and are you taking them with you?
            Nope. Just Mrs P and myself.

Comment

Don't neglect the west coast either. Ningaloo reef is amazing, a lot less busy that the Great Barrier Reef and you can walk out to it from the beach.

Comment

Oh, and take warm clothes. Plenty of parts of Australia will be pretty cold in May. Don't be fooled into thinking it's roasting all year round.

Comment

I flew direct to Cairns and the took one of the backpacker buses all the way down to Sydney ( this was 12 years ago & I was by far the oldest on the bus - was away for a year though, so couldn't afford car hire for that long)

I'd probably spend the time driving on the East Coast rather than Sydney to Melbourne. The Whitsundays are stunning (great snorkelling) and Fraser Island is great. Check out whether it is Humpback Whale season in Hervey Bay - still one of my best wildlife experiences. I wasn't so fussed by the Gold Coast or Brisbane, but Byron Bay was lovely. I meant to spend just 3 weeks on the east coast, but finally turned up in Sydney 3 months later. If you have the time to head to the rainforest as well as diving when in Cairns it's worth it. Think you'll miss stinger season as well which is v good.

Good coastal walks in Sydney, Bridge Climb, nice bars & good beaches. Worked there for a while so fond memories.

Melbourne had a completely different vibe. 40 degrees on the day I turned up, put my shorts on the next morning & walked outside to find it had plummeted to 20 degrees. Four seasons in 1 day has some truth! Less sightseeing than Sydney, but great place to meet up with friends.

Just slightly jealous.......

Comment

Bunk is right - West Coast fabulous. Not so many visitors & the landscapes are stunning.

Also right in that it will be cold at night.

Comment

Working...
                    X