• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How easy/difficult is it for you to find a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy/difficult is it for you to find a contract?

I've only had one contract thus far. It was very easy to find - responded to a couple of job adverts, got a call back from an agent, went to interview next day, was offered the contract the following morning, and started within a couple of days. Now I'm finding things a lot more difficult. I'm struggling to get a response to applications and I'm only getting approached by agents for permanent work.

I was wondering how easy/difficult you find it to land a contract? How long does it take on average? And what is your line of work?

Also, if it looks like you're getting nothing on the contract front (but have a decent amount of savings), do you consider taking a permanent role?

Originally posted by MB1983 View Post
    I've only had one contract thus far. It was very easy to find - responded to a couple of job adverts, got a call back from an agent, went to interview next day, was offered the contract the following morning, and started within a couple of days. Now I'm finding things a lot more difficult. I'm struggling to get a response to applications and I'm only getting approached by agents for permanent work.

I was wondering how easy/difficult you find it to land a contract? How long does it take on average? And what is your line of work?

Also, if it looks like you're getting nothing on the contract front (but have a decent amount of savings), do you consider taking a permanent role?
    It's really easy. Never had a problem. So would never consider perm. That's for failed contractors.

Comment

I find getting contracts via ads very difficult. Most of my work comes via recommendations and contacts. IMO LinkedIn is your friend.

Comment

Never had a problem myself.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes there's plenty of work on offer when you are in contract, but none when you are looking.

Shortest time was when I was approached during one contract, so I gave notice on one (middle of a one-month extension) and took the new one (turned into eighteen months). Longest time was about six months, maybe a shade longer than that.

There is no such thing as an "average" - I know people who walk from job to job, and constantly amaze me that they manage to walk and chew gum at the same time, whilst there are people I know who are intelligent and are very, very good at what they do but struggle to find new contracts.

I have no idea what the market is doing in my area at the moment, as I've not been looking for 18 months, and hope to string this one out for another year before I have to consider speaking to agents again.

I'd always consider permanent employment - for the right role, salary, location, company. I'm not precious about being a contractor - I enjoy what I do, so it would need to be a good offer to tempt me away from this - but that's mainly around working nine months a year rather than ten or eleven.

That remains true of whether I'm in a contract, or finding it hard to get a contract. I know someone who panic jumps from contract to permanent to contract because they worry that they won't find a new contract. That's not why I would take a permanent role, it would have to be the right thing to do rather than the last act of desperation.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Spend less time thinking about finding a contract.

Instead spend a lot more time networking. Then the work follows.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Several things to consider:
              What part of the project lifecycle does your role fit?
              UK, most new project kick-off around the beginning of the financial year April.

If I am looking for a contract in the UK, I am looking in March/April.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                It's really easy. Never had a problem. So would never consider perm. That's for failed contractors.
                Speaking as a failed contractor myself, I agree.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

1983? So you're 20/21? Perhaps lack of experience is the issue. Probably not a bad idea to perm for a few years and build up your skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    1983? So you're 20/21? Perhaps lack of experience is the issue. Probably not a bad idea to perm for a few years and build up your skillset.
                    erm try 30/31 (and yes I did use my fingers to make sure!)

Comment

Working...
                    X