• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Near shore software dev center

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Near shore software dev center

I am running a fairly successful software development business.
    I go and see the clients, write the spec with them, develop the software.

I have taken on a couple more devs now so it's more of a proper business.
    I would like to live and spend more time in better weather, doing more of what I like (coding, architecture) and less of business travel and meetings.
    Do you think that there is market for good quality bespoke software development with London sales office and near shore dev centre somewhere in the EU?
    Most of the banks and financial services firms seem to have this model already, so it must be working for them, given that my niche industry is different I am quite optimistic about it, just not too sure how to go about it - get the first client who's willing to try it as patient 0?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Do you think that there is market for good quality bespoke software development with London sales office and near shore dev centre somewhere in the EU?
    Yes. I know of a consultancy which has this model. They also have some UK-based staff, but a fair bit of grunt work is near-shored because you get cost savings without the time change hassle.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Definitely there is a space for this, if you can find your first clients while paying staff.

Do you have a specialty business area?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Why do your customers need to know? You still " go and see the clients, write the spec with them, develop the software" but the development is done near shore.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
          I am running a fairly successful software development business.
          I go and see the clients, write the spec with them, develop the software.

I have taken on a couple more devs now so it's more of a proper business.
          I would like to live and spend more time in better weather, doing more of what I like (coding, architecture) and less of business travel and meetings.
          Most of the banks and financial services firms seem to have this model already, so it must be working for them, given that my niche industry is different I am quite optimistic about it, just not too sure how to go about it - get the first client who's willing to try it as patient 0?
          Yep Scottlogic do this from Newcastle for various merchant banks. Another couple of firms around the north east do the same....

Could argue that the current clientco is doing that in Leeds with a slight variation on the model...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X