• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Searching on file properties, bulk modifying propeties and bulk file remaning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching on file properties, bulk modifying propeties and bulk file remaning

I am in the process of talking all of my digital photos and sticking them on the cloud. I have a few obstacles and if anyone knows any solutions I would be very grateful for any assistance. I'm guessing some app or DOS script might be able to help me with this but not so sure what or where.

The images are basically in hundreds of sub folders with meaningful names like 'holiday'. I want to dump them into the same folder and use tagging but the first problem is that they have been taken with 3 sony cameras all with the same file naming convention. DSC000x.jp and so on.

I want to search for all the files with the a different camera model property 'DSCR1' and then rename them DSCR1-DSC000X.jpg and so on, is that possible? I'm running WIN 8.1.

Also I know one camera had the timestamp property out by one year for many years, I would like to bulk update all the files by adding one year onto what is there, is that possible?

Again cheers for any help

Crap answer time:

There are probably some photo management software suites which can do all of that
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Can Irfanview do it? I know that there is a bulk rename utility in there which can rename based on the timestamp of the pictures, so you may be able to get more EXIF data out than just the date.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Failing that, have you tried this?

That would suggest that Bulk Rename Utility should do the trick.
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Cool i'll try that and get back

Comment

Would it be quicker to write a routine to do it yourself?

Comment

Assuming they're in a directory tree that separates the the three camera models;

Install Cygwin; in a shell type;

cd DSCR1

for i in `ls`;do cp -p $i DSCR1-$i;done for each camera type location

When happy delete or keep just the case the originals.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Would it be quicker to write a routine to do it yourself?
                I probably wish I had done that.

I'll try Cygwin tonight, cheers for that.

I could not get the bulk update tool to pick up the camera model although it looks a decent tool for dong other stuff. I tried another tool but it seems to rename using a camera model I don't have and should not be there. I gave up at that point for the night. Going to check all my other memory cards for unaccounted for files before going in again.

It is always the case that small problems put off just become big problems.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I probably wish I had done that.

I'll try Cygwin tonight, cheers for that.

I could not get the bulk update tool to pick up the camera model although it looks a decent tool for dong other stuff. I tried another tool but it seems to rename using a camera model I don't have and should not be there. I gave up at that point for the night. Going to check all my other memory cards for unaccounted for files before going in again.

It is always the case that small problems put off just become big problems.
                  If you get it to rename to something consistent (even if it's wrong), then you can easily script something to do a bulk rename again. The hardest part that I can see would be getting the EXIF data from the file in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                  X