• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gaps on dev CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaps on dev CV

I am in the final throws of a 21 month contract (initial 3 month +2 extensions) and am hoping to go abroad for 2-4 months. I have been pushing this back for the last 3 years as wanted to built up a more impressive contracting CV. I have now been contracting for 4 years with no gaps greater than 2 weeks.

I appreciate there is no clear answer, but I was hoping to gauge the more experienced contractors views on here of how this will be perceived by agents and the end client? And whether there is any further damage limitation I can do to mitigate the risk of my CV being received less favorably than another contractor without the gaps.

Small damage limitation. As you only put months and years on your CV, try to finish on 1st of month.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Small damage limitation. As you only put months and years on your CV, try to finish on 1st of month.
      I did see you put this on another thread and annoyingly my contract does end on 31st Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
        I did see you put this on another thread and annoyingly my contract does end on 31st Jan.
        Tricky when it's on a Friday...

See if you can schedule some handover work on the Monday and tell them you'll work that day instead of another day in your final week, and of course you are doing it for their convenience as Friday is not always the best day to get people in the office or some tulip like that.

Comment

Put Feb on your CV, I don't believe checking goes to that level of detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Tricky when it's on a Friday...

See if you can schedule some handover work on the Monday and tell them you'll work that day instead of another day in your final week, and of course you are doing it for their convenience as Friday is not always the best day to get people in the office or some tulip like that.
            Great Idea, the permies at ClientCo tend to WFH most Fridays so could be an acceptable solution.

Comment

If you're a developer then ends of ranges tend to be exclusive, right? I.e. 0 to 5 means 0,1,2,3 & 4

So I reckon you can get away with with it

Comment

50% of dev work is thinking, right?

so as long as I am thinking about a job, I am devving. Therfore I have no gaps on my CV because when a gap appears, I think about some support calls I might get, or recalls to fix that niggling bug that I just know is in there

mind you, I did get caught out once.
                At an interview, the PM was mightily impressed, he offered me the job straight away. His boss put his hand on his arm and said 'one minute please'
                'Did you enjoy your holiday last year ?'

I had not left a gap for me hollis

still got the gig though
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So change your CV so it just says years instead

That's what mine does.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I have been contracting for 4 years as well....

Think of how difficult it was to get into contracting and how experienced you now are in finding your next gig. Take the holiday and don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X