• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Fixes for XP Extended

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Fixes for XP Extended

BBC News - Microsoft extends virus warnings for Windows XP to 2015

XP Security fixes will be rolled out until July 2015 rather than April 2014.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Yet another concession to the lazy IT depts still stuck on XP.
    I was given a 'new" laptop still running windows XP at the beginning of the month.
    It is 2014 FFS

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      I was given a 'new" laptop still running windows XP at the beginning of the month.
      It is 2014 FFS
      Care to take a stab at why that might be ??
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        It is 2014 FFS
        Nope - an acknowledgement that it's still 30% of the market, so trying to force people to upgrade when there are other alternatives is silly.

And since some software that enterprises use only runs on XP, it's not a move that clients want.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          Nope - an acknowledgement that it's still 30% of the market, so trying to force people to upgrade when there are other alternatives is silly.

And since some software that enterprises use only runs on XP, it's not a move that clients want.
          ^^ This.

In 2005, I was at a large banking clientco that discovered some 11,000 bespoke apps which had to be tested and ported. Most were web apps designed around IE6. They're still using most of them today.

When they decide to go for a desktop O/S upgrade, there will be a huge gravy train pulling into Contractor Central, Platform 1
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            When they decide to go for a desktop O/S upgrade, there will be a huge gravy train pulling into Contractor Central, Platform 1
            This.

Sticking to XP is bad for M$ (no new revenue, bad publicity), bad for IT - complaints for lusers (7 minute boot time FFS) and bad for users who have to run both antique OS and antique software on top of it (and therefore hate M$), bad for contractors too - no upgrade gravy train.

Comment

IE6 seems to be the biggest issue, so if they'd just release IE6 for Windows 7 then a lot of the problems would go away.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                IE6 seems to be the biggest issue, so if they'd just release IE6 for Windows 7 then a lot of the problems would go away.
                IE6 won't run on Windows 7, that a big part of the problem. You can install an IE 6 Application compatibility VPC, but it's a lot of work for limited functionality and probably won't work with a lot of the more underhanded hacks used to get IE 6 web apps working.

And the extend virus signature support is really only a sop to the whiners. Yes you will now know you have a potential virus problem, but there still won't be a fix available for the vulnerability it exploits.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  BBC News - Microsoft extends virus warnings for Windows XP to 2015

XP Security fixes will be rolled out until July 2015 rather than April 2014.
                  Not quite. They will tell you that there is a virus, and possibly even stop it executing, but they are not going to patch the vulnerability that the virus is exploiting.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    They will tell you that there is a virus, and possibly even stop it executing
                    You think? I can't recall Windows ever doing this before

Comment

Working...
                    X