• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trip of a lifetime - I can't wait!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip of a lifetime - I can't wait!

My folks have bought me this for my 40th later this year.

I'm quite a big aviation buff and I love all the old airliners - been on a Trident and a Tristar, would have sold my granny to have flown on Concorde.

But I've never been on a DC10 and my dear mum and dad , bless them, have found the last remaining service to operate a DC 10 and have booked me on a one way flight.

It's operated by Biman Airlines (the national carrier of Bangladesh) and I'll be flying from Dhaka to Birmingham. In fact, I believe the DC 10 is going to be withdrawn later in the year and this will be one of a number of farewell flights.

My only reservation is that I hope they're better than PIA.

£600 to fly in economy in a 30+ year old plane one way from Bangladesh to Birmingham.

(Plus the cost of getting to Bangladesh in the first place).

Think I'd rather have had the cash, thanks.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

When I first read this I thought they were telling you to f*** off and don't come back.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
        My folks have bought me this for my 40th later this year.

I'm quite a big aviation buff and I love all the old airliners - been on a Trident and a Tristar, would have sold my granny to have flown on Concorde.
        You didn't miss much it was very cramped.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I went on the trip of a lifetime last year. tell you what, never again.....

(C) Tim Vine
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You didn't miss much it was very cramped.

But it was an experience: I liked the screens that showed you how high / fast you were going & it's likely the closest I will ever get to going in to space
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              But it was an experience: I liked the screens that showed you how high / fast you were going & it's likely the closest I will ever get to going in to space
              Where d'ja go? LHR - JFK? I always wanted to do that and take the QE2 in the other direction.

Someone said I should take the Queen Mary but it wouldn't be the same. The QM is not an ocean going liner, it's a glorified cruise ship really.

Comment

I've never flown on Concorde but I have been on it, at the Paris airshow back in '69 and I remember them testing it. They weren't allowed to test it overland in Europe so they did it in South Africa and I can remember lying in, and around, the swimming pool after school waiting for it to fly over, and it used to fly quite low! I was also in a Douglas Dakota (DC3) which got struck by lightning when flying from Rhodesia to South Africa, now that was scary. It suddenly dropped a couple of thousand feet and the majority of passengers tulip themselves apart from my little sister who likened it to fairground ride and was in high spirits.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  they weren't allowed to test it overland in Europe so they did it in South Africa
                  It used to go up from Filton on its test flights - that's over land.

Comment

That's awesome - I'd love a go in DC-10. I think my dream would be a flight over the channel in a C-53, but I don't think it'll ever happen now.

The best flight I've ever had was in an RAF Nimrod, but it's also the most ill I've ever been on a journey. They do (Well, did) things in those that an airliner really shouldn't be doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X