• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mate of mine's small project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mate of mine's small project

I've got this mate right, you've heard of him, fella who's gig in Jersey just went bandy.

Well he's got more than one string to his bow, and turned his attentions to one of his smaller projects, for a small local firm. Had a big meeting recently and he tells me it was rather infuriating.

His ClientCo wanted things done on the cheap, so wasn't interested in doing requirements workshops, or documenting things or generally doing things properly. After all it was just a port of a spreadsheet to a web app.

Well things have now taken a slightly bumpy turn. His ClientCo started asking why the web site doesn't do X/Y/Z. Well because that's an excel feature. If you want that, it's extra, as he's only porting the functionality of the sheet and the macros.

So it came to a head when the running totals were announced. So far it's 100% over budget. The reason? Change requests. There are change requests asking to back out change requests. It's a merry dance. The implications of each change request were explained. The cost implications were explained.

So they had a look ahead to the upcoming functionality that was planned for phase 2. His ClientCo pressed him for quotes on each bit. My mate pushed back and said until things are properly analysed it's not possible to give an accurate forecast. I quote "It's just a simple grid, same as the others, that just queries the database, it can't be that hard, how much".

What is it that my friend lacks, as do I, that gets people to tow the line and do things properly?

The risk of the corner cutting was explained. The reasons behind software development best practices were explained. Chucking the baby out with the bathwater was explained.

He offered to close the project at no charge, this was not accepted.

Why won't people listen?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I've managed to string out porting a spreadsheet to a web app with no proper requirements to two and a half years and still counting

Kerching.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I've managed to string out porting a spreadsheet to a web app with no proper requirements to two and a half years and still counting

Kerching.

Comment

Or on the other hand, upload it to Google Drive.

BTW, requirements workshops are ridiculous for a project this scale. Unless you're just using big words which mean "have a chat on the phone".
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Or on the other hand, upload it to Google Drive.

BTW, requirements workshops are ridiculous for a project this scale. Unless you're just using big words which mean "have a chat on the phone".
          People who do, do. People who can't, use long words and keep getting kicked off projects.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks for your erudite responses.

I seem to recall your mythical project in the states getting into a death by requirements state of affairs MF.

Call it a workshop, call it a meeting, call it a gathering of kindred souls, my mate doesn't much care how you label it, it's the "just lob it over the fence with very little in the way of expectations being clearly stated" that gets him down.

So how do you do the tin pot version of requirements management? Is it just exactly the same with less frightening language? Or is it more about doing stuff over and over again and -700% profit until the client accepts?

Comment

Using stupid language is probably what put them off. They'll get the idea you're some sort of cumbersome process-obsessed stuffed shirt who is going to take forever to do anything.

And it doesn't matter a damn how well you spec out the requirements before you start, if they aren't clued up the requirements will STILL shift as they realise what they actually need. People are not good at picturing software that doesn't exist.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Using stupid language is probably what put them off. They'll get the idea you're some sort of cumbersome process-obsessed stuffed shirt who is going to take forever to do anything.

And it doesn't matter a damn how well you spec out the requirements before you start, if they aren't clued up the requirements will STILL shift as they realise what they actually need. People are not good at picturing software that doesn't exist.
                Isn't that the point of agile though? The problem is that smaller firms can't afford the time to do daily scrums, mini "workshops" or stuff like that.

What I need is a means of going :

a) What do you need?
                b) Here's some form of cave drawing.
                c) Happy client.

That doesn't take any time, costs nothing and gets it right time after time.

Comment

I am process oriented. Because I understand the SDLC. And I know how many countless billions are wasted on projects because people cut corners.

This is why cutting corners irritates me so much. A builder wouldn't put a spade in the ground without far more documentation than I'm asking for.

How does my mate get his client to stop being such a dummy spitter, get him to do some sort of planning and formal stuff?

Churchill said "Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential". So clearly this isn't a problem relating to just IT if it stretches back that far. This is more about human nature.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    What is it that my friend lacks, as do I, that gets people to toe the line and do things properly?
                    At a guess, I'd say it's the ability to read what you've written and understand why it might not be right. To "tow the line", would involve putting the line on some kind of rope, and tugging it along behind you. That would imply it's some kind of activity involving move things forward, rather than doing things as they should be.

"toe the line" clearly indicates the behaviour of keeping your toes on the line and not straying.

What you also lack is authority. If you haven't got natural authority, then you need to learn to fake it.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X