• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax relief

Advice needed.

Presently permie and will shoot through the additional tax rate band this year. Ideally would like to reduce tax liability as much as possible. As I cannot do dividends any ideas

So far, pumping cash into my pension fund is the best I have to reduce. What else is there?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Advice needed.

Presently permie and will shoot through the additional tax rate band this year. Ideally would like to reduce tax liability as much as possible. As I cannot do dividends any ideas

So far, pumping cash into my pension fund is the best I have to reduce. What else is there?
    Not a lot, other than resign and join the rest of us Contractor SCUM again? Does your company offer any type of deferred compensation scheme, ie Sharesave?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Not a lot really. What salary sacrifice options does your employer offer and are any of interest to you?
      - Childcare vouchers?
      - Cycle to work scheme?
      - Some kind of share scheme?
      - Gift aid donations?
      - Plus pension like you suggest.

Comment

In addition to the suggestions above, you could consider investments in companies that qualify for the Enterprise Investment Scheme or invest in a Venture Capital Trust. In both these cases, 30% of what you invest would be deducted from your tax liability (though you cannot claim relief for more tax than has been paid). These investments can therefore save an enormous amount of tax; however they also tend to be very risky. If you were considering this type of thing then you definitely need to speak to a Financial Advisor…

Hope this helps!
        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
          In addition to the suggestions above, you could consider investments in companies that qualify for the Enterprise Investment Scheme or invest in a Venture Capital Trust. In both these cases, 30% of what you invest would be deducted from your tax liability (though you cannot claim relief for more tax than has been paid). These investments can therefore save an enormous amount of tax; however they also tend to be very risky. If you were considering this type of thing then you definitely need to speak to a Financial Advisor…

Hope this helps!
          Craig
          Thanks Craig, that was the only other thing I could think of.

My other option was to also register as self employed and re-open a loss making shop paying my wife a high salary. But going to be peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            My other option was to also register as self employed and re-open a loss making shop paying my wife a high salary.
            I would never advise someone to do this as you would be creating an artificial situation for the purpose of avoiding tax – if HMRC looked into this arrangement then the loss would not be allowed in your income tax computation.

Look into the other suggestions that have been put forward already.

Craig

Comment

Give it to charidee.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Give it to charidee.

Comment

Working...
                X